Logo

Replace water pump

Blessby33

Before I replaced my water pump on my 80 hp out board motor neutral and reverse work fine, I put it in forward gear before removing it when I tried putting it back in I turn the prop, it still would not go in so I move the shift and kelp adjust it it finally went back in, now my problem is it stays in forward gear will not go in neutral nor reverse I need help can someone tell me what I need to do to fix

There are different ways to go about this work.----One way is to leave the control in neutral .----Then make sure the lower unit is in neutral.----Then assemble.-----You can also use forward and forward.-----But the shift shaft may have turned too far away from forward.-----If you fully understand what is happening then it is a 10 minute job !!

There are different ways to go about this work.----One way is to leave the control in neutral .----Then make sure the lower unit is in neutral.----Then assemble.-----You can also use forward and forward.-----But the shift shaft may have turned too far away from forward.-----If you fully understand what is happening then it is a 10 minute job !!
I tried to put it in neutral the lower unit still would not go back in, when I tried to turn the propeller it is lock in forward gear, can you tell me how to get it unlocked so I can put the lower unit in neutral thank you for your help

Year / serial # of your motor ?----Start with removing the lower unit again.------Then be prepared to follow simple steps.

Put lower unit in neutral.-----Put control in neutral and assemble.--------Note ---The clutch dog is spring loaded , so make sure it is still neutral when you slide it together.----Often it will jump into forward due to a bump on the case.-----You may need an assistant to slowly turn flywheel to engage splines.----Make sure water tube slides into the pump too.----Easy when you understand what is happening here.

Back