Logo

1993 Mercury 25hp lock won't disengage when in gear too let motor tilt

Blutz1979

I just bought a 1993 mercury 25hp tiller handle . The lock that holds motor down when in reverse won't disengage when in forward gear too let motor tilt any help would be appreciated.

If it's like my motor WAS clean away all the OLD dried GREASE from that
Area and every other place as well.
I could not even rotate the mechanism on mine it was so dirty.

There needs to be a washer on the shift right above the ears make sure it is there. Or make sure the shift shaft goes through the U shaped wire and the washer is on.

Welcome. Take a look at what you see there when you shift gears. These parts often get knackered. A common problem is as Mr. Scott mentions. Grease may be an issue too as Big Johnson states. Mercury has played around with the locking system for years and years.....never really came up with a good solid "bulletproof" mechanism. Some designs used a plastic cam and rod, when you shift gears, the cam turns and moves the rod up or down.......that's at least until the plastic breaks.

There is no cam for tilting on te ops motor. It is a simple pull system Just a rod the goes to the hooks. I have had quite a few of those motors and that system is reliable and durable.

Back