Logo

Flat at last 1/4 throttle - EST Distributor.

jeffnick

Regular Contributor
She runs smooth and responsive up until about 3/4 throttle. Then she seem to run OK but no torque and can't get any more RPM's. Fuel lines and filter and carb checked out OK. Air intake clean. Thinking my EST Ignition module might have gone south. When I changed it out I found a ring in the distributor that moves. Is this normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210209-170519_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210209-170519_Gallery.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 47
the coil between your finger and thumb (in the picture) should NOT rotate...if it does, your timing will be OFF.

You'll need to remove and then disassemble the distributor to figure out if the retainer came loose or the anchor pin on the pickup coil broke...

Thanks. Now I know why my timing wouldn't settle. I can get a new distributor on ebay for $40 (not marine) that I will use as a parts donor to fix the one on the boat. Then will check timing for total advance.

If you mean 'settle' with the timing shunt attached, that will do it...FWIW, when the shunt is removed, so the module controls the timing advance, they usually vary a good amount from idle up to ~ 1000 RPM. I usually set the timing with the advance at full and then live with the initial timing as long as the engine starts hot...there isn't much 'advance' in those modules...

When you say "moves" do you mean it shifts a little back an forth? (clock wise/counter clock wise) ?

Are you sure your throttle blades are full open at WOT? I've seen people think they have dizzy or timing issues when really the cable is worn or out of adjustment. It's funny how many people never think to make sure the blades are full open. They just assume they are. Takes 2 seconds to check and eliminate it if that's not it.

Back