Logo

Petronix for 302's

Robert Laughton

Hello,

I have a 1975 Fairline Mirage 29 with twin Ford 302 175HP engines and electric shift outdrives.

Last season the engine started breaking down above 2500 RPM. I have all new filters, cleaned carbs, new points, clear fuel lines, plugs and wires.

Timing is right, and dwell too (at idle at least).

There is wobble in the distributor shaft, so was wondering if this might be throwing off the timing.

I was considering rebuilding the original distributor if I can find the parts, or swapping to electronic.

I see marine parts places want far more money than for a road car engine. I can't imagine there's any difference - is there?

I aslo see Petronix recommends a new coil as well.

Any comments on how I should procede?

Thanks,
Rob

a wobble in the distributor shaft will impact the timing...and swapping point to electronics won't fix the shaft concern.

Hopefully, the shaft is true and the bushings are just worn out. I'd suggest getting what you have rebuilt by someone that specializes in that distributor...and do both as the other one wont be far behind.

As far as differences, the basic assembly is similar but the marine one is typically sealed up tighter, with screens in the vents...and no vacuum advance. Since Ford gave up the marine market decades ago, you are on the shrinking end of the supply curve. I'd ask the rebuilder about a module to replace the points. The big thing is to make sure you maintain the timing curve.

Thank you Mako,

I'm aware the marine distributors are different that for auto, I was wondering if the Petronix for marine was different.
Looking at prices, they charge way more on marine sites. An auto kit is $80

I thought electronic ignition would still work fine even if there;'s worn bushings in the distributor. I thought that was one of the reasons folks decide to switch. That's what I'm thinking; it may be easier/better to put electronic in than rebuild the distributor.

My parts books are on the boat which is tarped, so I can't get the part numbers etc to see if I can get bushings.

Thanks,
Rob

a wobble in the distributor shaft will impact the timing...and swapping point to electronics won't fix the shaft concern.

Hopefully, the shaft is true and the bushings are just worn out. I'd suggest getting what you have rebuilt by someone that specializes in that distributor...and do both as the other one wont be far behind.

As far as differences, the basic assembly is similar but the marine one is typically sealed up tighter, with screens in the vents...and no vacuum advance. Since Ford gave up the marine market decades ago, you are on the shrinking end of the supply curve. I'd ask the rebuilder about a module to replace the points. The big thing is to make sure you maintain the timing curve.

the modules just eliminate the maintenance associated with the points...can't compensate for shaft wobble....or a worn/broken advance mechanism.

Most of the original part number pieces are NLA from that timeframe...the shops source what they can and then machine as necessary...

I'd contact pertronix to see if they can explain the auto/marine differences within their modules...I can't see any reason for significant differences...

Back