Logo

5.7 mpi engine was grumbling when I started it at the ramp

Fishmaster23

Regular Contributor
I don't know if it was cause the boat wasn't all the way in the water or what, but I couldn't quite pinpoint where it was coming from. I backed it off the trailer and once it was in the water it sounded okay. I wanted to say it was coming from the pds bearing area. I took it out for about an out and it ran fine with no issues, I opened the hatch a couple times on the water and she purred like a kitten. This is a brand new drop in 5.7 mpi engine from Michigan motors. What do you guys think? The pds bearings were replaced too although they never bothered to use the correct open bearings. Are they going bad already? The engine only has like 43hrs on it and has a dp-a drive.

The lack of open bearings would prevent regreasing, i wouldn't think the grease would be gone after that few hours unless water got in there. Its so easy to pop the seals out of sealed bearings if you can only locate sealed ones..... I would run it on the muffs and see if you hear the noise. Sometimes if you are against a wall or other hard object you will hear noises you normally dont.

how is the engine working out? I bought a carbed partial from MM in 2015, has been trouble free.

Often if the drive is not turned straight ahead and the drive isn't all the way "down" the universals will be a bit noisy.
Were the bearings in the Ujoints in the universals checked??? Some version have lube ports.

Often if the drive is not turned straight ahead and the drive isn't all the way "down" the universals will be a bit noisy.
Were the bearings in the Ujoints in the universals checked??? Some version have lube

That's what I'm thinking. They do grumble a bit when you turn the outdrive to one side or the other. When I pulled the boat out after running it around the lake I ran it on the house and heard a slight clicking sound when I put my ear close to the joint bellow. Only time will tell I guess.

Okay. Well it didn't do it this time. Now that I think about it the last two times I noticed it I had the outdrive trimmed up all the way cause I was working on it. For some reason it doesn't go quite all the way until it hits that rubber bump stop. Mine is the older dp-a. So I don't know, maybe the Ujoints didn't straighten all the way out those two times when I used the boat. I didn't hear anything this time because I didn't have the drive all the way up. I usually just put it up enough to keep from knocking the skeg off going down the road. I don't go far with it to the ramp. Easier on the bellows that way too.

Back