Logo

Hard to pull

mt_bhigh

I have a 1968 Mercury 20 hp. Motor runs llike a champ! Wor out the 1st one, same year. My question is, starting the motor cold, summer or winter, it puls hard the 1st 2 pulls before it starts. After that it pulls easy. Using it during the day, an easy 1/2 pul 'n fires right up. Any idea why? I squeeze the primer bulb before every start. I plan on putting in a new fuel pump 'n carburetor kit in fore spring. Don't know if this will make a difference? Unless fuel is going into the cylinders? Never smokes or acts flooded. Just pulls hard 1st 2 pulls??? Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks
Brad

I have a 1968 Mercury 20 hp. Motor runs llike a champ! Wor out the 1st one, same year. My question is, starting the motor cold, summer or winter, it puls hard the 1st 2 pulls before it starts. After that it pulls easy. Using it during the day, an easy 1/2 pul 'n fires right up. Any idea why? I squeeze the primer bulb before every start. I plan on putting in a new fuel pump 'n carburetor kit in fore spring. Don't know if this will make a difference? Unless fuel is going into the cylinders? Never smokes or acts flooded. Just pulls hard 1st 2 pulls??? Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks
Brad
If you are comparing how hard it pulls compared to your other 1968 20 there may be good reason. If your other '68 was below serial number 2432535 it had lower compression. Check to see if your current 20 is above 2432536 which had the higher compression padded cylinders. I have the later serial number 1968 20 also that has noticeable higher compression when you pull it. Yours also has one of the best magneto's (in my opinion) that Mercury ever produced. Hope you kept the old engine for parts because the coils, points and condensers are getting mighty expensive and harder to find.

If you are comparing how hard it pulls compared to your other 1968 20 there may be good reason. If your other '68 was below serial number 2432535 it had lower compression. Check to see if your current 20 is above 2432536 which had the higher compression padded cylinders. I have the later serial number 1968 20 also that has noticeable higher compression when you pull it. Yours also has one of the best magneto's (in my opinion) that Mercury ever produced. Hope you kept the old engine for parts because the coils, points and condensers are getting mighty expensive and harder to find.
Yes, l kept the other for parts! Your verry correct on the best electrical! I know l'm older 'n a little more crippled up, but it seems to be just hard on the first 2 pulls, then it starts???

I'm working on my 1980 7.5hp and just found out that the previous
Owners smeared GREASE all over the manual pull rope starter
COIL SPRING. I had to disassemble the entire assembly and remove
All the gunk until completely cleaned and smooth.
Reassembled everything and now it pulls so much smoother.
You may want to consider this.

Back