Logo

1986 5 h.p. Gamefisher for less than $100....fouled spark plug.

boatdokker

Regular Contributor
90025C1A-6A37-47EA-BDCC-A74A4936B056.jpg9823AF2D-3264-4C17-91E5-99757969C7D1.jpg

Gamefish....Gamefisher??!! O.K. I suppose I'll go for that...

Motor was not seized, overall good condition with original logos, etc. Motor has intact ignition system with spark. Spark plug was fouled and wet?? with water/ oil. Carburetor has significant amount of fine sediment and stinky, yellow fuel. Entire motor is black and does look original.

First issue...I was told by an expert boat shop in Michigan that black color means the motor was made by Mercury for Sears. The engine numbers start with "217." And this suggests that it is from the other Sears motor supplier...i.e., Eska. Anyway, it’s only a secondary motor for the boat.

Second issue....cause of the oil/ water fouled spark plug. 1. Water from a motor cooling passage fouled the plug. 2. Cylinder is just really fouled with carbon and motor sat for a while and absorbed moisture. 3. Spark plug was placed in the motor by the pilot/ aviator at his garage sale as a joke.

Analysis....the motor is an air cooled single cylinder Eska. Water cooled lines only go to the exhaust. The craigslist ad said it was a 4 cycle motor. I knew at once that was b.s.
Cylinder top is kept in place by 5 slot head bolts. Disassembled the bolts from the cylinder and the cylinder top will not come off of the cylinder. Some peeling paint was seen next to cylinder gasket...maybe the motor did overheat at some time. Cylinder pressure. is 60 psi with or without oil added to cylinder. Plan to remove the muffler/ exhaust manifold to view the piston condition.

What's the easiest way to get the cylinder top off the cylinder and get the motor started again? WD-40, butane/ propane torch, pry bar?

Last edited:
Cylinder head bolts were found to be loose during later inspection. Shop in Michigan said to replace the cylinder head gasket because the compression is not at the original spec. I’d say 60 psi is a bit on the low side of average for a motor of that year. Still has a chance of starting, I’d say.

How long are the head "screws/bolts"?.......maybe the whole "jug" comes off like a chainsaw.

Last edited:
How long are the head "screws/bolts"?.......maybe the whole "jug" comes off like a chainsaw.

The 5 cylinder bolts are about 1" to 1.25" x 1/4 - 20. They do not span the height of the cylinder. I'd say the cylinder was cast with the engine block and it seems like a one-piece assembly.

Anyway, I snugged up the cylinder bolts and started the motor with some WD-40 and a few sprays of carb. cleaner...didn't notice any engine noises.

Looks good. Be sure not to run without the water pump in the water....I think it has an impeller that could melt. It's gonna need a good quality oil because it's air cooled. Don't run on just carb cleaner or starting fluid. I would recommend Amsoil Saber air cooled 2 stroke oil and mixed at 64:1. I have one almost like that Gamefisher but it's a 1.75 horse....sweet little putter. You can portage it hanging on your belt. Ultra tiny. Don't think it's made by Mercury.

Looks good. Be sure not to run without the water pump in the water....I think it has an impeller that could melt. It's gonna need a good quality oil because it's air cooled. Don't run on just carb cleaner or starting fluid. I would recommend Amsoil Saber air cooled 2 stroke oil and mixed at 64:1. I have one almost like that Gamefisher but it's a 1.75 horse....sweet little putter. You can portage it hanging on your belt. Ultra tiny. Don't think it's made by Mercury.

Yeah...O.K. Thanks for your help.

Runs great, but I think your water is too low. Should be more submersed, especially with all that prop action and turbulence. Nice video, well done.

Thanks...cleaned the carb., installed a new Autolite spark plug, and cleaned up cylinder and piston with some Starbrite decarbonizer....outboard seems o.k. now.

Thanks...cleaned the carb., installed a new Autolite spark plug, and cleaned up cylinder and piston with some Starbrite decarbonizer....outboard seems o.k. now.
I know this is an old thread so not sure if you’ll respond here but I have same motor trying to get it to run. Did u find out if it is a mercury motor? Mine too starts with 217. Also what spark plug did u put into it. Thanks

Back