Logo

2006 Mercury 25hp won’t start, no spark

xHAWAIIx

Thank you for any help in advance,
i have a 2006 Mercury 25hp efi, it was running good and never had any issues with it. But then as i was remodeling my boat (1973 13ft Boston whaler) turning it from a tiller outboard into a remote steering and throttle. With doing the conversion it stoped running. Cranks over just doesn’t start.

I thought for a while that it was the kill switch or a ground problem which caused no power to the spark plugs but I’ve bypass that and still no luck.

has anyone done a conversion from a tiller to remote steering?

I extended the wires and brought them (the kill switch and nuetal safety) to the center consul up front. Dose anyone know what else can cut power to the spark plugs?

Hi xHAWAIIx - I'd hate to lead you towards a no-spark caused by a bad coil or anything of the matter because it seems related to the kill circuit or new controls. Did you get a Mercury side mount control box or similar with the harness built into it? Or are you running a separate ignition and throttle/shift cables? If side mount like I see on most Whalers, the new control box should have its own run/off-Black/Yellow kill circuit built in that you would need to connect or the CDI will not get power when the key is turned on. If you could post the serial number I may be able to find a manual to further assist.

I bought a top mount control box from sea star solutions. The control box doesn’t have anything to do with the ignition, only has throttle, shift cable and the neutral safety switch and the tilt.
I left the entire ignition system how it was originally, which was just a start button on the outboard it’s self.
the serial number for it is OR151064 2006 mercury 25e.
Also the conversion kit I used was 889246A34

Hi xHAWAIIx - I unfortunately don't have the 3 cyl. service manual only the 2 cyl. earlier carbureted version so the resistance values I have may not be correct for your coils and circuitry. I would find it highly unlikely that all three coils aren't functioning, have you checked them all for spark with a tester or flathead screwdriver against a ground? Can also check the plug itself if you have it out of the cylinder. If you have, I would try again for the heck of it with the lanyard in the on and OFF position. Re-check all connections of the kill circuit, make sure it is open. I wouldn't think it would be the neutral safety as it would not be cranking. I would also check the fuse, but again it is cranking so I may not be able to do much else without getting hands on it.

Thank you. I just got it running today! I still don’t know what the problem was.. but I had someone check it out and they tested the spark plugs with a screw driver and it didn’t have spark so unplugged the kill switch, tested agai, still nothing. Third time and it started right up. Plugged the kill switch back in and it’s like nothing was wrong. Thanks for any advice

Hi, so I tried taking my boat out yesterday and ran into the same problem that I was having, no spark. I brought it home and after an hour or two or trying it started up again?! I now don’t think that it has to do with wiring as once it starts it runs perfectly and I can continue to start/stop it multiple times. Can this be due to a bad sensor or bad computer?

You might have a short hiding in the wiring harness that's killing the ignition.

Had that happen once to me. Never found the short, but I rewired it and eliminated the problem.

Jeff

Thank Jeff,
is there any way I can confirm that it’s the wireing harness?
Also just to mention when it dose turn on, I haven’t had it die.

Back