Logo

1948 Martin "20" any issues I should know of?

Right....fill the lower unit with "blaster". Then put the drain plug back in. Try acetone/auto transmission fluid....the best. Been cold here too. Today up into the 20's, however.

Last edited:
how should I try to turn it over? What I've been doing is putting pressure on the prop to try to turn it over. is the driveshaft supposed to be able to come out of the lower unit on these motors? it came out of the power head but not the lower unit and I'm sure if its even able to.

I think they have a little nut on the end of the driveshaft holding it firm to the pinion gear. Maybe Racer will know. Try to turn with the driveshaft and prop together. More to work with...loosening from both directions. Remember drive shaft turns clockwise looking from the top and that will be forward pushing with the propeller.

Last edited:
I think it will be better for me just to put a wrench on the prop nut than what I’m doing now. Me pushing on the propeller is creating a bending force rather than a rotational one. In other words, when I’m pushing the propeller I’m basically trying to bend the propeller instead of trying to spin it over. How would I spin the drive shaft? It is splined and I don’t have anything I could use to grip to the splines

I use a vice grip with a protection like a strip of tin wrapped around. Like from a tin can. Better yet, a piece of copper tube, slightly larger than the splines, then vise grip it.

Back