Logo

Voltage Regulator/Rectifier Tachometer Output

My tachometer doesn't seem to be working properly. Can some one tell me what the out put of the Voltage Regulator/rectifier is that goes to the Tachometer? I have a 1995 Mercury 75hp, 3cyl, 2-stroke.cy
Respectfully,
Terry T

Per Page 2B-19 of the Nov. 2015 revision to the manual covering 3 and 4 cyl 2 strokers from 1994 up, The battery charging AC power from the stator (yellow leads) is applied to a full wave bridge rectifier in the rectifier/regulator module. One diode (half wave) rectification of the AC input is tapped off and sent to the tachometer. The only spec I can find is that it's 3v minimum, and consists of half wave rectified, sinusoidal pulses, so a DC meter would read the voltage. Max would be up around the peak value of of the AC input to the regulator. With 2 diode drops in the FWBridge and 14.5v max output from the regulator, this signal could peak out, at max RPM in the 15-18v range would be my estimation.

The manual lists 9 pickup coils wired in series for the battery charging part of the Stator. Since a flywheel magnet passes each in making one revolution, seems to me that 9 sine waves would be produced per engine revolution. So with that said, I would expect to see 9 half sine waves X number of engine revolutions as the frequency of that signal, if viewed on an oscilloscope type measuring device.

All speculation as I haven't had to cross that bridge in my years of engine ownership of this series of engines.

IS the battery charging properly? If not, the tach won't work.
On the newer rect/reg units one side of the diode bridge can be bad and not charge properly BUT tach will still work...seen this may times.

Per Page 2B-19 of the Nov. 2015 revision to the manual covering 3 and 4 cyl 2 strokers from 1994 up, The battery charging AC power from the stator (yellow leads) is applied to a full wave bridge rectifier in the rectifier/regulator module. One diode (half wave) rectification of the AC input is tapped off and sent to the tachometer. The only spec I can find is that it's 3v minimum, and consists of half wave rectified, sinusoidal pulses, so a DC meter would read the voltage. Max would be up around the peak value of of the AC input to the regulator. With 2 diode drops in the FWBridge and 14.5v max output from the regulator, this signal could peak out, at max RPM in the 15-18v range would be my estimation.

The manual lists 9 pickup coils wired in series for the battery charging part of the Stator. Since a flywheel magnet passes each in making one revolution, seems to me that 9 sine waves would be produced per engine revolution. So with that said, I would expect to see 9 half sine waves X number of engine revolutions as the frequency of that signal, if viewed on an oscilloscope type measuring device.

All speculation as I haven't had to cross that bridge in my years of engine ownership of this series of engines.

Thank you for the very help full Information.
Respectfully,
Terry T

Back