Logo

Overtemp horn at 2500 RPM

joebago353

I have a 2003 Mercury 150XL SWB. If I throttle up and remain at approx 2500 RPM the overtemp horn will sound and remain on until I shut the motor off. When I restart the horn will initially sound then turns off and all is normal. I am able to throttle through 2500 RPM with no alarm sounding, it only happens at that RPM area and only if I remain there for a minute or two. Last year I replaced both thermostats and impeller. Water is flowing from the tell tale hole and the motor works fine otherwise. Any thoughts?

I just went through a similar issue on my brother's 150 it was the pump housing the tread is on this page,post your serial no so the techs on here know what you got.good luck

I don't have that engine but I do/have had engines with thermostats and higher RPM, higher rates of coolant flow "pop-off" valves...pressure, not temp regulated. ON my 3-4 cyl. 2 strokers, the change over RPM is spec's at 2500 in the manual. Had the reverse happen to me on buying a used 3 cyl on my first outing.

Launched the boat, ran out to the no wake buoys, was putting around for a bit at lower RPMs and all of a sudden the horn sounds.....what to do what to do.....what is it, new engine to me....daaaaaa. So I firewall the throttle for the first time and up and away I went, everything working like one would expect. Low and behold about 30 seconds of that and the horn shut off. It stayed off the whole time I was out on my maiden shake down cruise until I slowed back down to go back to the launch....wasn't but a short time and the horn started sounding again.

In short, troubleshooting at home later, I found my thermostat was stuck shut. I'm guessing that your Tstat is working fine but your pop-off valve is stuck shut.

Last edited:
Back