Logo

Transom Void

Hi:

Here is the backstory on this one: On my early 70's GT150 knockoff, the transom has had a lot of flex in it and started to crack really bad right near the fibreglass transom cap that the engine rests on; right in the corner of the splashwell. I suspected a rotten transom so I cut that fibreglass cap off to check it out. The transom is rotten, and I'm weighing my options on what to do there, but that's not the point of this thread.

When I cut the fibreglass transom cap off, I was really surprised to notice there is a void between the top of the transom core and the fibreglass cap, it's almost at inch. I think this would explain my cracking issue more then the transom being bad. I suspect the main issue is the torsional forces from the engine bouncing down the highway on an unsupported, hollow void below in the transom cap. It would be easy enough to rectify this issue now that I'm in there, but I wonder if I'm failing to consider something. Could there be a reason to make a boat this way?

Attachments

• Transom Closeup.jpg
    Transom Closeup.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Transom.jpg
    Transom.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 51
??-------Motors are supported by the 4 bolts ( 2 each side ) lower down.-----That void means nothing / has nothing to do with cracking of transom.

It is like this on some other boats as well, seems to be strictly cosmetic. My guess would be so that there is enough room to have a rounded over look rather than being a 90 degree angle. As the core rots the structure absorbs less of the load and puts stress on these mating areas. This is probably only efficient with boats created from molds rather than if you just made the core a bit taller and rounded it over slightly to achieve the same look. Just my 2 cents. Cheers

Back