Logo

Advice for possible repair

NotEienstien

Have a 1990 25 hp Evinrude that when I let go of the steering handle at all the motor will always go to one side. I don't remember which way. Is there a way to tighten up the steering on it, or maybe a part needs to be replaced?
Thanks for any tips.

Welcome.....sir.....Looks like this.

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_195126981_compress7.jpg
    IMG_20200731_195126981_compress7.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 38
Welcome.....sir.....Looks like this.

Thanks for the quick replies. It does not look to be to difficult, but looks can be deceiving. It is my son's boat and it is at his house, but I use it occasionally.
Should I order the spring also, Part # 72 or does it come with one? The picture of the screw itself is not very clear.

Thanks again.

It's probably fine.....try to tighten it. Think you can reach it from the front even while motor is clamped to the transom. There is a grease fitting for that pivot also. That is accessible from the side.

I'll take a look at it next time I get a chance, now that I know what to look for. It is one of those annoying things, but just not sure what was involved to remedy it.

Thank you.

After over a year of my original post, I finally got this problem resolved. Better late then never. It {the screw}was just loose. Goes to show you how much the boat is used!
In all fairness it is my sons boat and it sits at his house. I just borrowed it and now it is sitting at my house so I thought I'd take a look at it. It is much better now.

Wow! A year already, seems like only a few months back. Where are you located? Still nearly 2 feet of ice on our lakes north of Duluth.

Time flies! I checked and I posted the original question Jan. 2021. I'm going to try it out the next day or so before I return it to him, weather permitting of coarse. No snow, but has been cold and wet this spring. I am in Lake Stevens, Washington. Been to Minnesota few times as that is where my mom was from. One of the many little towns, Erskine, which if I remember correctly is close to Crookston. One of my uncles lived in Duluth for a short time before going back to the "old homestead."

Yes, been to Lake Stevens. Duluth is a great place, can't let go of L. Superior. They say there's enough water in it to cover the surface of both North and South America with 12" of water. Or if everyone on earth would drink a half gallon of it's pristine, clear water every day....it would take about 1,500 years to empty.

Back