Logo

1940’s Evinrude lightfour, worth it?

Colezay

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone, I’m going to be picking up this 1940’s Evinrude lightfour tomorrow and I was wondering if it’s worth it to get it? The tank has no dents that I can see and it turns over and the decals look very good. They make 9.7hp and it’s $5057A4925A-8EA4-4ACC-812E-52C45984AC9A.jpegthere is a video of it but unfortunately it’s too big to send

Maybe he wants to buy and re sell it....where do you live, Cole? These were really cool motors. That 10 hp was REAL horsepower. This should go on into the right hands. It is beautiful.

Last edited:
I’m planning on restoring it. I’m in Rhode Island and it’s a steal for what it is. Guy wanted $100 for it 2 weeks ago, he couldn’t sell it, now it’s $50... lol.

Going to be picking up today, funny thing is two weeks ago he contacted me seeing if I wanted it. I didn't know what it was at the time and I regretted not going for it. Luckily he got back in contact with me to see if I wanted it for $50.

Yes..... I have been looking for another 4 cylinder opposed for years and years.......what a beautiful exhaust note......how about 4 megaphones out the back? That old Speedifour I had would launch your "woodie".....I, I mean "wooden boat"!

Last edited:
I don’t plan on doing a full restoration (taking it completely apart) I plan on getting it running then sanding the rust off the back cover and polishing the metal. How would I polish the metal and would polishing it hurt the decals?

Once you get it, can you post some photos of the decals and rust...? I may have some suggestions....I do quite a bit of restoration.....intended to keep motor as an original "survivor".

I have a 1945 Evinrude Lightfour still in the case. Serial number 439800068. I am interested in selling. Is anyone interested?

Back