Logo

1987 30a3 Tach Installation

ddc11

Background;

I recently sold my 20' Nitro because 1. At 81 years old my wife worried about me having a 200 hp boat and fishing by myself. 2. Most all my fishing is by my self since all my old fishing buddies have passed. 3. Flat out and trimmed up on the pad can be a handful and I do realize my reflexes are not what they used to be.

I found a 14' Crestliner with the Nissan 30A3 that belonged to a fellow who used it for a year or so with the gas engine and then moved to his summer home in an area that only has electric motor only lakes so I doubt that there is more than 20 hrs on the motor.

This boat never spent on night out of the garage. Brought it home, changed lower end lube, replace water pump impeller and started using it three or four times for a shake down and mostly fishing. First tank was a couple of gallons of 25/1 and then changed to 50/1 for the rest of the time.

The prop on it only has the marking SO1648 and no mfg. name. I measured it and it seems to be 9.9x12P. With a tinytach hooked up it is does around 28 to 30 but is over reving to about 5600 rpm.

This motor runs smooth as silk at both idle and flat out but at about 2500 to 5000 it surges back and forth about 200 rpms or so. I am thinking this may be a trim problem but haven't had time to fully check it out when the weather changed. I can't really feel any porposing but am thinking that maybe it is trying to lift the boat but as it goes up there is not enough power to keep it there and this cycle just keep repeating. Almost like going over waves when you can hear and motor change as the load comes and goes. Checked timing and at most it may be at most 26 btdc. It is hard to read but the mark on the case is just on the upper side of the mark but not over it.

Question can any standard tach work. The wiring diagram for the Nissan tach show they are tapping both the white and yellow. Would just tapping one or the other feed an aftermarket tach such as the Faria 33004?

WOT should not exceed about 5500, so maybe a little more pitch is called for.
Tach is on the white wire; yellow is tach ground. I use OEM tachometers.

Thanks for the quick reply. Today I found a tach that was on one of my old boats. Powered it up with jumpers and checked it against the tiny tach and they were spot on with each other. Now have to pump the water out of the trash can tomorrow and wait for spring. Agee I may want to go up in pitch but I will wait until Spring when I can play around with the trim on the water. I may have been trimmed to far up. I don't worry about top speed as my home lake is only 1800 acres and 7 miles long and I am not in that big of hurry anymore.

Back