Logo

Shift rod adjustment

Themotorman

I cannot turn the throttle past the Neutral position even when in fwd.
It seems that the end of the shift rod is just too close to the circular cam turned by the throttle. Is there an adjust for this and what do I remove to access it?

Hi,
You should list the horsepower and year of your outboard. Also, you might want to elaborate about how the problem came about.

For example: Was everything fine and then suddenly the problem occurred? Or it's been gradually getting worse since I hit that tree stump...

Without some basic information and a bit of history it will be hard for anyone here to help.

Assuming it's a Honda, the FRAME NUMBER located on a label on or around the starboard side of the stern bracket (transom clamp) is a good thing to have when searching for parts or assistance.

Keep that number stashed in a safe place as long as you own the motor since the labels are sometimes known to go missing.

Good luck.

Its a bf15 I just bought. I know nothing about these but am a reasonable auto mechanic. The problem us that the end of the shift rod is not spaced away enough from the throttle cam. I can't get to boat now so don't have year etc. Sorry.
I have the service manual but it does say what needs to be removed to adjust the shift rod just says 6mm clearance etc. Someone has probably gone there and as a newby I didn't want to make things worse. It does shift ok but harder to get into reverse than fwd.i do know that the shiftrod cam is designed to prevent over running in neutral and also limits reverse th

Are you trying to shift this with the engine running, or no?

MANY motors won't shift worth a darn unless they are running....

Alan is correct. These have a "dog clutch" that only meshes as it turns. To shift with the engine stopped, you must turn the prop shaft by hand or the transmission can get "gear bound" when the clutch doesn't mesh. If you try forcing it to shift, you can stretch the shift cable or bend the linkage.

I suspect that the shift rods may have gotten out of adjustment where they thread together just above the gear case. It's possible that the previous owner tried to make an adjustment at the tiller arm cable. The adjustment needs to be made at the long nut that connects the upper rod to the rod protruding from the gearcase. That's probably why you're having problems.
See items 9 and 29 in the link below. The adjustment nut and the jam nut.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/15hp/bf15a2-la-2002/vertical-shaft

Just follow the adjustment procedure in your shop manual.

Good luck.

Thanks . Shifting is ok. It is gap between the the end of the shift rod , a triangular shape, and the plastic cam that is turned by the throttle handle. There is no gap so the cam cannot turn past the point of the triangle. Then this limits the throttle to be same as in neutral not as it should be when.in FWD. Sorry if this sounds simple and I am.sure if I took that area apart it would all make sense The service manual.just does have a good page on this. I have looked at page 11-4 . I think that it is the shift shift (17) that needs moving but how and what do have to remove to get to it?

The cam that turns with the cables from the twist grip throttle is not movable. So it must be that the shift rod or whatever its called needs to move. . I understand the problem but don't want to disassemble a lot as the outboard is on my boat and its easy for small items to get lost!! If the motor wasn't so heavy I'd take it to.mworkshop.!!
As anyone had a similar problem of the parts being too close?

I am hoping to to the boat tomorrow so will get serial number etc. May be mine is a non standard assembly. The end of the shift rod seems to be right against the case and doesn't look like the service manual pin.

Is the "shift rod" you are referring to the same as item #6 in the link I sent before?

It occurred to me that all of these outboards with tillers are lever shift. Item #6 is the choke control rod. Is that what's blocking the cam from moving? If so, the choke butterfly could be stuck and you should check that.

Your outboard is going to be a pre 2003 model as the ones manufactured after that don't have the throttle cam affair and the choke is a pull knob and cable and is not set with the throttle grip.

Back