Logo

How to fix anchor support part

len8338

Hi all,
I'm not sure what the part is called, but hopefully you can see by the photos that the part that the anchor chain/rope goes through is cracked.

The boat is around 40 years old and made in Australia. I think the part that needs repairing/replacing is thick plastic.

I'm relatively handy but don't have any experience fixing boats.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Len

Attachments

• IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 60
Hi Len. That part is called a bow sprit. It is probably made of fiberglass reenforced plastic (FRP). Yes, it can be repaired. Anything fiberglass can be repaired. The thing is, that given the stresses it has to endure, it will probably just break again, You see how thick it was made, then just bolted to the thin deck. The tail portion is flexing there where it contacts the deck. That repeated stress is why it broke. That and the bolt holes thru the thinnest part.
If it were me, I would remove the thing, grind out the crack from behind, fill with a paste of epoxy thickened with fiberglass chopped strand and refinish with sanding and new paint.
To make this less prone to cracking, I suggest that you make a stainless steel plate to go under those rear bolt heads to sort of sandwich the thing to the hull. Also be sure that there's a corresponding backing plate underneath either plywood or steel. This might mean longer bolts.
I hope that the little round port in the winch locker isn't the only access to those nuts up front there.
Hope this helps.

Excellent advice and information. Very much appreciated
I did repair a surfboard once using fiberglass and I'm sure there's some youtube clips to help with the basics.
I really like the idea of using some stainless plate to strengthen it. I'll definitely do that.
Unfortunately the only access is that little port but I've changed timing belts in cars so am used to confined spaces.
Once again, thanks a lot.
Cheers,
Len

bow sprits (bowsprits) are found on sailing vessel...

ITs too small to be a pulpit...I'd suspect it was called a mount for the anchor (or bow) roller.

I'd suspect the failure was due to the moment created with that anchor and the location of the rear (upper) bolts - there's not much material to absorb (transfer) the load. however you repair the fiberglas, I'd suggest you consider 1)moving the mounting bolts and 2) move the anchor roller closer to the hull to minimize the moment the anchor creates when the hull pitches.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I agree those bolts are not holding enough material so once I've repaired it I'm going to take your advice and include some additional bolts along with a piece of stainless steel along the top to spread the load. It's an old boat and I suspect fiberglass gets more brittle with age.

Thanks for you support,

Len

Back