Logo

1987 Evinrude 70HP VRO Bypass Questions

Tim&Bleu

Now that I've removed my VRO pump and have my new OMC fuel pump, it looks like one OUT hose from the new fuel pump will go to the crank case. My question here is, does the other OUT hose from the new fuel pump go to a NEW OMC fuel manifold (PART#394385)? The way I have set up now, is the primer is connected to a long thin manifold with three very thin fuel lines connected to the three carbs individually. From what I can see, I think the second out hose from the fuel pump would go to the OMC fuel manifold/splitter with the three hoses going then to the carbs. This is what I think, I don't know. Should the three carbs have separate fuel lines coming from the primer AND the new pump?

Thanks,

- Tim

It has been clearly stated that there is only ONE hose nipple for fuel out.-----One nipple for fuel IN.-----And ONE nipple for crankcase PRESSURE to move the diaphragm.----Please study this elegantly simple pump. -----The primer receives fuel at pressure from the pump.------When key is pushed in and engine is cranking the fuel leaves the primer and goes directly into the intake air stream via those small hoses.----And 394385 does NOT belong on your motor !!!

That's great then. That's why I was over thinking it like I said to you yesterday. I watched a video where the guy used the manifold from the VRO pump he removed. He actually did it incorrectly then. The way he did it also must have bypassed the primer on his engine (his was a 50 evinrude from a different year, so only 2 cyl and maybe no primer?). So, essentially what I'll be doing, mechanically-wize anyway, is pre-mixed fuel from tank to engine side male fuel fitting. From engine fitting through hose to new fuel pump IN. One fuel hose OUT to primer. Other to crankcase.

The 2 cylinder pump mounts directly over the PRESSURE pulse port on the side of the block.----With a fuel in and ONE fuel out nipple.-----The 3 cylinder pump mounts on a bracket ( find the part # on the 3 cylinder 65 HP commercial motor ) with 3 nipples.------ONE fuel in.----ONE fuel out.----ONE air pressure port.----Remove the pulse limiter as it is NOT used on the simple pumps.

Thanks racerone. I now can totally see what you're talking about. Totally correct. I actually have the part your referring to regarding the bracket. It came as spare parts along with 3 carb rebuild kits and all new gaskets, including the head gasket, so I think I'll strip the engine down to the head, and replace all the gaskets, rebuild carbs, etc. Then put together fuel system. Hopefully it's start at that point so I can dial it in with timing and link and sync. Should I use the champion plugs it calls for? I have the NGK equivalent that came with all the new extra parts.

Yes, beauty is only skin deep. Goes for outboards, boats, cars,....especially women. I agree with Racer...I'm spooked a bit with custom paint jobs.

Like I said, I have a good feeling. I'll strip it down to the block replace with all the new parts from the head out, and we'll see. Just waiting for my tank prop and a couple other things and will start working on it this week. Then the fun will begin. That's when I could really use your guys expertise. I will have everything in order, I'm just going to need help with the electric and wiring. That's what I'm really trying to understand now.

Back