Logo

Help with the steps to bypass VRO 1987 Evinrude 70HP

Tim&Bleu

Good morning forum,

I need help with bypassing the VRO on a 1987 Evinrude 70HP Outboard. I believe I'm overthinking things, but I want it perfect. I'm going to freshen everything up, and do a proper tune-up, timing, link and sync, etc., per the owner's service manual. Anyway, I figure this step, along with getting the wiring sorted, is the best place to start. Any and all direction is appreciated.

Thanks!

- Tim

If you are using the VRO as apremix pump this is how you do it.
#1 unplug the pump from the wiring harness#2 remove the oil tank wires from the motor
#3 remove the tank hose from the fuel connector and plug that nipple.
#4 mix your tank at 50-1 and go boating.

50054622 / 438559 / 343462 this are the three part numbers listed. Mine is the 343462. It looks like a skinny version of home plate. It's an official OMC part. I still have the VRO pump and the tank but I'd rather put the new pump and gasket on the side of the block where the pulse hole and two screws are. It lines up perfectly, and from what I understand the pulse hole provides negative pressure from the crank to help with fuel flow.

What is the model # of your 70 HP motor ?------I don't think the 70 HP has a spot on the side of the block to mount the pump directly over a pressure pulse port.

three cylinder. its def a 70. i have pictures, but i cant attach them. i think they're too big. yesterday i started a thread which you responded to. if you go through the thread i left lots of information on the engine and everything im looking for help with. ill try and see if i can send pics. i have to switch from this laptop im on to my phone because i dont have google photos on this computer.

thanks tim...ill load up that app after dinner and send all the pics i have and hopefully we can tell what year i have. im pertty certain its a 1987, but we'll find out. i texted the guy i bought it from, just waiting to hear back.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Great post. I'll save it until I have a hand moving it to summer house where my brother will be. We're restoring his 1983 Boston Whaler 15 Super Sport. It had a 1983 50HP Johnson, no VRO. Engine runs, so just going to sell it. I'll post some pics. I'm also trying to verify what year my engine is, but I think it's a 1987.

The model number of my engine is Evinrude E70TLCUR 1987. This is based off of the serial number stamped into the block on the carb side, front of engine.

You do not need the fuel connector the old one will work fine. Make sure you remove the pulse limiter and replace with a straight nipple. You also have to have the 3 port fuel pump.

Back