Logo

Ford 289 identification

Phred32

Hello all
I am new to the forum and the vintage boat world! I was hoping to get some information on a mid sixties ford 289 interceptor . I have searched around and the cheat sheets i have found for the numbers on the timing cover don't seem to make sense. The timing plate stamp is - NOGI1R420286. The other stamp (upper left on timing cover) was RHS 289. I believe that means right hand rotation and 1964. The HP code (I) does not seem to match up with what i have read. Any info on this engine would be greatly appreciated. I don't get this new toy until april. I read there were other numbers but i won't be able to get those until april. The PO did say the numbers under the valve covers indicated it was a 1965, which seems to disagree with the timing cover.
This engine comes with a 1959 century resorter. The boat is in peices, taken apart in 1990, stripped bottom was refinished to be dry, caulk removed and strips of mohagany epoxied in. Other than that it needs everything. have pics of the engine but not sure how to post them. The engine was rebuilt in 1994, lubed up and waiting to run
Thanks
Phred

Since the engine has been unused for 26 years, the chances of it being any good are quite small. I would count on having to put in new power.

Thanks for the optimism!
The PO knew this was going to be a long project and thoroughly dosed everything with mystery oil. Engine is free. No doubt it might be shot but keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks for the optimism!
Phred32, pay little to no attention to the Nay-Sayers.

The PO knew this was going to be a long project and thoroughly dosed everything with mystery oil. Engine is free. No doubt it might be shot but keeping fingers crossed.
If this engine was truly over-hauled and was stored properly, it may be just fine....... especially if it now spins over freely.

If you need some good information on the 289, join a Ford enthusiast forum. It will most likely be automotive related, and they
most likely won't know much about a REV RH Rotation engine. However, short of the Marine specific items, those guys will be able to help you identify what you have.

Last edited:
For what it's worth; I had a pair (RH and LH rotation) of early 1970 vintage 302 Fords that are very similar to the 289 (had a 289 in the first car I ever owned...Mercury Meteor).
The marine version has some differences from the automotive version. The nodular iron block has more nickel in it than a car block. The crankshaft is forged steel not cast iron. The exhaust valves are sodium filled. The camshaft is a specific grind for marine use. Gaskets and seals are made for saltwater.
It seems odd that they'd use a 289 as that's more what you'd expect for displacement in a car not a boat. I mean it's more or less identical in all dimensions so why not go with the 302? Dunno.
If it were me, I would pull the heads off and have a look around. It'll take you an afternoon and will answer a lot of questions and maybe give you some reassurance that all is in order. While you're at it replace the head gaskets and maybe install a set of ARP studs to make your life easier next time.
I don't believe that there are any factory casting marks or other external clues about the rotation. Right or left rotation is all the same bottom end and heads and timing cover. Only the distributor and camshaft are different as well as the starter motor. The distributor and cam have a reverse cut gear so that the dizzy spins the same way as normal but the firing order is switched around. The Ford factory does not build reverse rotation engines, those will be done by the company that does the marinizing. E.g: Pleasurecraft, Crusader, Waukesha, Mercrusier etc. Is there any kind of tag anywhere on the engine? This is usually where you would expect to find if it's CW or CCW rotation.
Generally speaking the engine in a single is normal rotation. That is, clockwise when looking at the rear flywheel end.
Hope you find out what you need to find out and good luck with the project.

Good info o2. My second car was a 1967 Ford 289....also the first auto engine I ever rebuilt. I still have that car, 48 years later. Now has a 429 scj in it.
Back to the 289. Same block as 302, but instead of the 3" stroke, we are 2.87" I think. The interceptor was 210 horse, right....then a 190 and 170 horse. The OP motor is RH or in other words, reverse rotation.....sometimes called "RR". Pre 1971....or 1972 have firing order of 18736245, while standard rotation would be 15426378. By 1972 the 302 (I think became a 4 barrel), and 351 began sharing parts and of course a new firing order.
The motor may be just fine. I built a 305 GM marine complete long block and turned it over every few years. It sat on the cement floor of my pole barn. Sold it 20 years later and the guy loved it....no problem. I really don't like to leave valve springs with no exercise for more than a few years....they should either be backed off, or turned over to relax the springs. This means one full revolution of the crank.

Last edited:
Hello
I have been out with shoulder surgery but I am getting back at it. I now possess the boat/motor. I bought it in storage from a snowbird so had to wait until he was back up north to get everything. I guess the definition of a project boat is ot takes 2 trips to bring home!
There is no tag on the carb or anywhere else i can find.
I did find more normal numbers stamped above the starter. It showed its a 1965 reverse rotation. The HP part of the numbers didn't seem to agree with info i have found, but i am guessing its 190 since its a 2bbl. Probably more than enough for that little boat - if i can get it running. It took a lot of running the drill on the oil pump but it got oil to all the rockers. Ignition was shot so i am installing an HEI. I am in the process of modifying the old distributor gear to fit the new distributor as it was meant for a standard rotation. I also found the passenger side cylinders all had low compression (80 to 100) the other 4 were all good. When i get the distributor in i plan to try to run it, wishfully thinking if i can get it running things might fix themselves. I found it odd that one side all had similar low compression but time will tell on that
Cheers
Phred

just make sure whatever distributor you use, it has a marine rating (usually a SAE J1171 sticker is readily visible)..

Back