Logo

Johnson TD-20 Sea horse 5hp lower unit

Colezay

Regular Contributor
So I’ve been trying to get my Johnson Sea Horse 5hp unseized. I got it mostly unstuck but it’s still a bit too stiff. I thought maybe it could be the lower unit so I started on that. I took out the bolts holding it on and got it off and all I can say is wow. The oil in the whole lower and mid unit has turned to tar. I pulled the drain bolt on the lower unit and it’s barely coming out. I also don’t know where the impeller is and how to get to it. Also what lower unit fluid do I use and how do I fill it?

also the engine hasn’t gotten any more free from taking it off. Are those engine usually that hard to spin over?

You might find a wobbler / rotor type pump in front of the propeller.----Those lower units were often filled with grease.

From what I’ve found you put can put corn head grease or lubriplate #105.18522884-2821-4077-AE70-D486F87FB3BC.jpegvent hole is circled

Last edited:
Its been soaking in marvel mystery oil and pb blaster (swapping between each every 24hrs cuz why not:p) for around 4 days now

The lower unit has been draining slowly but surely. Once its empty I’m going to clean it out with some carb cleaner and fill the lower unit up with lubriplate #105. Should I grease the driveshaft? Also how do I make sure that the tube that goes from the lower unit into the power head is lined up with the right hole?

A squirt of Automatic auto gearbox fluid in each cylinder should free it up.Leave it a couple of hours to soak,try it then repeat.

Back