Logo

gear lever stiff , 1981 35 hp

motiondave

Contributing Member
Hello good people, the Johnson 35 hp, 1981 model, the gear shift lever is fairly stiff, it takes a good shove to move it into and out of gear, especially reverse.
Ive put grease on the plastic lever components, sprayed around the gear case where the selector rod goes it.
it does not look corroded in anyway, it looks like its hardly been used, in reverse.
It just seems stiff at the top,
any suggestions, or how tos to adjust it? Ive tried readjusting the bolts that hold it on. Unless I missed something.
Id like to make it easier to shift into gear.
cheers, David.

If, If , The shifter shaft #39 is corroded where it goes through the exhaust housing, and I don't know if it is or not, then there is no cure except to take it apart and clean the corrosion out. A fairly common problem if the motor was used in salt water. Was it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-13 101224.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-13 101224.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 15
Hello good people, the Johnson 35 hp, 1981 model, the gear shift lever is fairly stiff, it takes a good shove to move it into and out of gear, especially reverse.
Ive put grease on the plastic lever components, sprayed around the gear case where the selector rod goes it.
it does not look corroded in anyway, it looks like its hardly been used, in reverse.
It just seems stiff at the top,
any suggestions, or how tos to adjust it? Ive tried readjusting the bolts that hold it on. Unless I missed something.
Id like to make it easier to shift into gear.
cheers, David.

thanks I tested that, its hard to shift regardless, but does go into and out of gear. I am using after market forward controls as well. I, thinking of extending the lever arm for that to allow more leverage as well, as a test.

If, If , The shifter shaft #39 is corroded where it goes through the exhaust housing, and I don't know if it is or not, then there is no cure except to take it apart and clean the corrosion out. A fairly common problem if the motor was used in salt water. Was it?

cheers for that, I will pull it apart and check it.

double edit.
I removed the spring loaded rod arm, gears move easily. so I think the springs, which look great , are stiff. I will try cutting a little off the top one a bit at a time and test. I know it needs pressure to hold in gear but not needing strong man contest to actually move it.

Back