Logo

New boat winterize?

Chubb

Just purchased a new Tahoe w/ 4.5 L 200 hp stern drive. Will pick up from dealer next week. Noat will be kept on a lift in boathouse. Do I need to winterize? Or will an approved heater in engine compartment suffice?
North Georgia location. Would like to take on a good day this winter if possible.

Drain the raw water between uses. Should be in the mercruiser docs that come with the boat or look online

Does it have closed cooling ?

Just purchased a new Tahoe w/ 4.5 L 200 hp stern drive. Will pick up from dealer next week. Boat will be kept on a lift in boathouse.
Do I need to winterize?
Or will an approved heater in engine compartment suffice?

North Georgia location. Would like to take on a good day this winter if possible.

In my opinion, using electric heaters for freeze protection will only be as good as are your chances of NOT undergoing a power outage.

As Dieter suggested, drain all seawater (as per your OEM service manual) and spare yourself of any risks.

I guess it's a matter of what works best in your region. I can't imagine that you all get down in the teens and below for days on end. Just sitting overnight in below freezing doesn't necessarily mean you'll blow out your block if the temps rise into the 40s and 50s during the day. What are your neighbors doing for this? Are you on Lake Lanier? Does the water level still go way down in the summer when the farmers start complaining about irrigation?
I guess if you're worried, do the antifreeze thing. You can still splash the boat on a nice day and just refill with antifreeze again afterward.
If you have power in the boat house I would def put a heater in there. The usual cause of power outage in winter is an ice storm. How frequently do those happen where you are?
I'm assuming that you bought the 700 yes? Those storage partitions in the engine bay really don't help with engine access. A nice thick exercise mat helps when you're laying on your belly reaching around the backside while the bulkhead pokes you.

Last edited:
Back