Logo

green dieasel

holdfastviking

Soon to be the owner of a 6-110
i live in Norway where every thing is going green, so i wonder if its possible to run on vegan diesel, plant based diesel, i dont like it but it will
be a reality here in Norway, they have started a ban on selling 2strokes,and soon it will be forbidden to run a older vessel in some of the fjords, so i wonder if there is a possible solution for a rebuild ,,like injectors?
in the building i live the the heating been rebuild from fossil fuel to green fuel, so i guess ,,:confused:
thanks for a nice forum

I don't have experience with bio diesel so you probably shouldn't rely on my input.

But my thoughts are that the engine will probably burn the fuel ok and your concern about injector modification is likely valid. But....

....The unit injector requires the lubrication that refined petroleum diesel oil provides to prevent "stiction" or the partial seizure of the injectors. I'm not sure the bio diesel has the proper lube properties to run it without an additive of some kind to make up the difference.

You may want to contact a fuel oil engineer to see what you might be up against. If you're lucky, there may already be an off the shelf product available that you could use.

Good luck.

The engine will run biodiesel. Detroit stopped building the 6-110 about 1965 and sold the parts, patterns and rights to https://www.wwwilliams.com/
The engine was used heavily in the oil fields and other industrial uses. Detroit quit building the engine because the 12v71 was more efficient and could make more power. Other than a Detroit in good mechanical condition, there is no fix for the engine emissions except for maybe a catalytic converter. Smaller injectors will just open farther to meet power needs and won't supply enough fuel for upper HP requirements. There are additives that create a cleaner fuel burn, less particulate matter. I use Archoil AR6200.
Biodiesel above 50% acts like a solvent and quickly dissolves any sludge in the fuel lines and tanks, causing fuel filter problems. A few years ago, ferries in Canada went to biodiesel and had lots of filter plugging incidents until they went to below 50% biodiesel. So be prepared, carry extra filters.
I've been running and repairing Detroits since about 1960. For the size, they are my favorite engine. I know of nothing more reliable.
All big ship engines I am aware of are 2 cycle because they're more efficient. Apparently they won't be going into some fjords in Norway.

Attachments

• AR6200614_compressed.pdf
    392.9 KB · Views: 45
Back