Logo

Mercury 150 high pressure fuel pump getting clogged

mattyboy607

Hello, New to the forum. trying to solve an issue i've been having with a 2019 mercury 150 on my duck hunting boat. I run pretty shallow regularly but I switch over to a push pole or trolling motor whenever i get too shallow. The problem is that i'm not always catching it in time and i've had to have the high pressure fuel pump replaced twice in 2 years because i'm sucking up sand and mud in the front water intake. I had a friend suggest i plug the 4 water intake holes in the front of the lower to prevent mud/sand pickup. I have a jackplate, but i only ever raise it at low speed to get into the shallows. when i raise it, the water intake above the propeller is still submerged. wanted to get some feedback before i try it to make sure i'm not going to cause more problems by plugging them.

here's a photo of the front intake holes i'm referring to:
https://www.mercuryracing.com/wp-co...ax-Pro-XS-Torque-Master_Pod_3-4-Port_fore.png

That wont effect the fuel pump as debris cannot enter fuel system...Are the fuel rails getting clogged or the strainers?

So how much do you lead the duck when your both going 60 mph? Probably 12 ga, 3" Magnum...#4 steel shot....full choke 32" barrel @ 40 yards? Huh? I'd shoot straight away, eh? Never tried it....but sounds like a blast!

Last edited:
That wont effect the fuel pump as debris cannot enter fuel system...Are the fuel rails getting clogged or the strainers?

its the water cooling system on the high pressure fuel pump that's getting clogged. It leads to the high pressure fuel pump overheating and burning out. I imagine it's using the same water intake as the main motor, but wasn't sure if it would be affected by the closing off the front 4 holes as long as i keep the primary water intake under water.

So how much do you lead the duck when your both going 60 mph? Probably 12 ga, 3" Magnum...#4 steel shot....full choke 32" barrel @ 40 yards? Huh? I'd shoot straight away, eh? Never tried it....but sounds like a blast!

haha, I top out at 45mph, so I have to lead about 6 inches.

**because sarcasm doesn't translate well in text, i don't actually shoot birds while moving

I would check the strainers at adapter plate as these are supposed to keep out large debris. I would think you would have had debris in fuel rails and air compressor also..

Ha! Just thought I'd have some fun. We hunt where no motors are allowed, so the game wardens are a giveaway with their 4hp. Great sport.

Back