Logo

Exhaust leaking out of lower unit above anti-ventilation plate

Volant

RE: Honda BF 90-D. I just had annual service done on my twin 90s at a reputable shop. Service included removal of gear case to replace impeller. When i put boat back in water and started engines, the port engine was much louder and there is a large effusion of bubbles coming up on both sides of the lower unit casting. It looks like this bubbling originates in the area of the anodes, which were also both replaced. I would post a video but cannot figure out how to do so. Can anyone venture a site unseen guess as to the problem ?

I am no mechanic but in the service manual it looks like the anode location penetrates clear into the inside of lower unit casting and would therefore be hydraulically (pneumatically?) connected to the exhaust port that is behind the water pump. Are there supposed to be seals on the anodes to prevent exhaust discharge ? I don't know for sure that is where the exhaust is exiting but I have good sized perma-trim foils on the motors that bolt to the anti-ventilation plate, and the exhaust is definitely above the foils. I suppose another possibility is the mechanic failed to notice some debris on the casting mating surface when he bolted lower unit back on, and exhaust is just escaping at this joint.

You're right in that the anode area is open to the exhaust. It's not unusual to see exhaust leaking there with the boat idling out of gear/boat not moving. What is unusual is the idea one motor is leaking (bubbling) more than the other. Has the boat been out of the water long enough for there to be a big wasp nest forward of the prop?

That's about the only thing I can think of if the anodes were replaced on both motors.

My guess is that the tech didn't clean corrosion/garbage from the seating area for the anodes and they didn't fit in well when tightened up.

Might have been two different people with different work ethics doing each outboard. OR...one guy doing both but with a hot date the evening he finished up;>)

EZ enough for you to check.

Good luck.

Back