Logo

2003 Johnson 115 hp cranks but will not start

throyz10

I have a 2003 Johnson 115 hp 2 stroke on my pontoon boat. It has been running very good for the last 8 years. A few weeks ago I was out on the water and the engine just cut off - like the kill switch had been pulled. I checked the lanyard and made sure all was well but it would not start again. We sat and fished for a while and I tried to start it again and it started immediately and ran smoothly for a few minutes and then cut off abruptly again. It started two more times after waiting for a while and finally wouldn't start at all. We were towed back and it hasn't started again since. I have ruled out the kill circuit, coils, power pack, and rectifier. Also ruled out carburetors - it is getting fuel and oil. Spark plugs are brand new. It cranks and doesn't even try to start. I'm looking for any other DIY ideas before I take it to a shop. I'm thinking now it could be the stator but that is beyond my abilities to mess with.

Thanks! Troy

You spent all those precious beer tokens and it still won't run.-----I agree time to hire a shop.-----It will save you some frustration.

I posted the symptoms here to see if anyone could offer any other suggestions of easy things I may have overlooked before I take it to the shop. I do know my limitations.

Does sound like a stator. Sometimes a bad or worn out stator will just stop working when the engine gets warm. Hence it starting back up after sitting for a bit.

Back