Logo

2006 Honda 225 Oil Leak

RagingBull

Hi, new here but have found loads of helpful info on here in the past.

I just noticed my 225 is leaking oil when its trimmed up, I removed the bottom cowling and cleaned the oil up and can see it is coming from the port side of the mount case where the Upper Mount goes. I have had a look at the parts diagrams and can only guess that for it to be coming out there it must be the Upper Mount Cover Seal?

I understand this will require the powerhead to be pulled off to repair. I don't think id do this myself as I don't have anyway of lifting it off plus I'm not that confident i wouldn't do more damage than good!

So, a couple of questions,

1. Is this likely to be anything other than the Upper Mount Cover Seal?

2. Is it going to hurt it to run it like this for the season and have it fixed in the winter? (I'm in New Zealand and right at the start of our big game fishing season)

I will try and post a photo

Usually the cover needs replacing too because it gets corroded. I would not run it like that because water can get in there too.

Hi, thanks for that. Would it be possible for water to get in if it was running? Just wondering if the inside would be under pressure. During the game season the motor is running when ever its on the water.

I’m having the same issue with my motor and I got quoted $2500..I’ve left the motor sitting since October..I think I might try doing it myself but it’s very time consuming

It does sound like the mid section to block gasket needs replacing. They are not that difficult, so it should cost to much. I did mine as a matter of preventive maintenance at 1100 hrs. Note I know the location and order of every bolt, I could easily have the block off in an hour.

Back