Logo

Trim system fluid change

Mark S.

Contributing Member
Want to change/purge the 10W30 from my A1 G2 trim system in the off season. I have Manual 14 and will follow that procedure. Just wondering, why does it say plug the manifold holes at one point? Is this to stop air from being sucked in? Can I use any bolt with proper thread?

Want to change/purge the 10W30 from my A1 G2 trim system in the off season. I have Manual 14 and will follow that procedure. Just wondering, why does it say plug the manifold holes at one point? Is this to stop air from being sucked in? Can I use any bolt with proper thread?

Why? Are you Bored?

Hmmm I have a 1998 Alpha 1 Gen 2 and it has the original fluid in the trim system. I never thought about changing/flushing is this a good idea for maintenance?

The oil in the tank still looks fairly dark but I was wondering if that which is in the lines is milked up. It's been in there for 17 years. Is there exchange between the tank and the cylinders? If the oil does circulate I'd say you're right and I'm ok. Just wanting knock out some off season preventive maintenance. Thanks for replies.

The oil in the tank still looks fairly dark but I was wondering if that which is in the lines is milked up. It's been in there for 17 years. Is there exchange between the tank and the cylinders? If the oil does circulate I'd say you're right and I'm ok. Just wanting knock out some off season preventive maintenance. Thanks for replies.

yes the oil does get pushed out to the cylinders and back.what I did for the same reason you are looking to change it, was suck the reservoir dry with a turkey baster, refill, run the drive up and down a couple time, suck dry, repeat. Did this and comp,Evelyn changed out the fluid with out opening the system.

Yes, a turkey baster, 16 years old system here, wondered about this but nobody has brought it up, yes spring maintenance item and get the OEM recommended fluid.

Back