Logo

wiring help please 1981 35hp johnson

motiondave

Contributing Member
Hello good people.
Ive been going through a few motors this last few months, getting ridiculous I know :D
Ok,
I have J35ELCIG , 1981, 35hp johnson outboard electric start that does not have the wiring from the main connector to the key.
so, I will need to identify the wires to set it up myself to a key switch for ignition
can someone please help identify and let me know what wire is each?

Black/yellow trace

Red (12v Id say)

Yellow/red trace

Purple

Black (ground/earth)

and would anyone know , if this motor, should , fire up by running a lead directly to the starter motor as it turns over the engine. Yes I know its not wise, just wanting to get the motor running at least as a start to test how it runs under idle and some revs.

thanks, David Lane.

Black/yellow is the kill wire (stops motor when grounded). Don't know about the brown one.

thanks for that, the brown part of the wire is simply an extention of the black/yellow. Im asking if it connects to something? as its part of the ignition wiring setup , but does it connect on the motor itself? Like there is a screw terminal block near it...
also, Any ideas what
yellow/red
and purple are please?
Cheers, Dave.

I lost my diagram with my computer crash. But by custom, red/yellow is Start , purple is "hot" wire when ignition switch is on. Like I said, I have no idea why somebody added the brown wire.

I lost my diagram with my computer crash. But by custom, red/yellow is Start , purple is "hot" wire when ignition switch is on. Like I said, I have no idea why somebody added the brown wire.
thanks man, that helps heaps.
by chance, can I ask please for a wiring description.
dont worry about the brown wire, its just an extention of the black\yellow. I was also asking should it be connected to something? as its loose.

Hello people, just to let you all know, I managed to get the thing to start, so thanks for the help, I managed to trace the wires and figure it out.
happy days, another motor going again :D

Back