Logo

Mariner 9.9 hp 2 stroke question

Hello,

I was given a Mariner 9.9 hp 2 stroke (not sure what year) that appears to be in good condition. It starts on the first or second pull and runs strong.

However, it weeps an oily film out of the exhaust ports when running . Is this normal, and if not, what is this a symptom of?

Could be your mixture. Are you at 50:1? Are 2 strokes legal to use in California? I run my 2 strokes with less oil, why? Partially because I don't want MN to ban 2 strokes.....or Canada for that matter. I use Amsoil Saber at 64:1 for motors with rotating assemblies using bushings, and up to 100:1 for full needle/ball bearing rotating assemblies. Have 2 resorts in NW Ontario and have used Amsoil since the late 1970's. Those Avatar Johnson's are freighting in Ontario at WOT at 100:1. Only have one left, however......no, it didn't burn up, got stolen. Might replace your thermostat too, could be running too cold. If you have an infrared gun, you should note an operating temp about 135 to 145 at thermostat housing. With cowling off you may see a little cooler operation temp at idle.

Last edited:
Back