Logo

Electronic Ignition for a 77 GM 250 I6 165 HP Mercuriser

Cadmandu

Hi All,
I need help understanding which way to go.
1) When it comes to doing a conversion or buying an HEI complete distributer can i shop for parts for a 77 chevy C10 truck engine or do i need special marine parts.
2) what is the difference between installing a conversion kit or a HEI 194-230-250-292 distributor.
3) Also some install an electronic module like a Pertronix box.
Thanks

you really want a marine grade part.

Conversion kit is vague. typically, the only option is a 'breakerless' upgrade which deletes the points. These are great if of high quality design. the concern I have, if reusing the original distributor, is what condition it is in....an breakerless kit in a worn out distributor will be very frustrating to use...if unknown, I would get it reconditioned by someone with the proper equipment.

If i pulled the distributor other than looking at the bendix gear for wear what eles should i look for. How would someome recondition a wore out dist?
If i need a new one should i buy the exact replacement and stick with the points design?
thanks for the post

the gear is usually serviceable...the usual wear concerns are the bushings/shaft (slop from wear) and the advance mechanism (wear/corrosion/fatigue). the factory service manual should have service limits for the shaft play as well as the original advance curve.

The deal is this - without the proper timing (& advance), the engine will never make its rate power output.

I haven't checked the market recently for what is available for replacements...sadly the I-6 engines don't get a lot of support nowadays, I suppose mostly because they have been out of production for decades. either way, a good breakerless conversion kit will eliminate the need for point adjustments...

Back