Logo

1998 200HP Johnson Reed valves

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
Good morning,
my motor kept dying at idle in the water, started troubleshooting it and it is spitting a little bit of fuel out of the port's side 2nd/middle carb. My question is, if I replace those reeds, should I replace all the reeds on the engine as well? is that the norm when it comes to reeds or should I just replace the ones for that particular carb?

also does anyone has a tutorial/video or a link to it to use as reference before I start that repair?

parts needed?

reed block gasket
manifold gasket

what else you guys think?

Best to replace them all reeds and reed blocks.------The motor should run a lot better with new reeds and reed blocks.

How did the reeds fail? Is your mouse nest or cowling insulation getting sucked in? Moths or other bugs? Can you post a photo when the "bad" reed is discovered? It's so strange that in my 50 plus years of outboard, saw, motorcycle, snowmobile, and mower repair, (where reeds are used), I've only seen reed failure a couple dozen times.....and almost all of that was due to debris getting sucked in through the carb.
So to answer your question, it all depends on what caused the failure. Some motors are more prone to breaking reeds for no apparent reason.....if this is one of those motors, then certainly agree with Racer.

Last edited:
at this point I have not physically looked at the reed in question, I'm going just by the symptoms(not idling/idling and dying, spitting fuel)... I guess I'll find out once I take everything apart.

If you suspect bad reeds then just replace them and the reed boxes and you will know / learn about them.----Not that much money I think.----Only about $165.00 each , so 6 would amount to the----BOAT ----or " bring on another thousand "

Last edited:
How true. Define "boat": "A hole in the water you dump money in"! A thousand doesn't go very far in the marine industry. But look how many good times you have once you get out on the water.

What i see the most of on the 90* loopers is the reed box becomes loose from the manifold.and the reed box mounting screws breacking

Back