Logo

2000 225 OX66 Saltwater series won't start and blows fuse.

Alan S

My boat was sitting for 4 months without running. Last time I used it in August it lost power on the high end. Last week I just put a new high pressure pump and VST filter on the engine started it, let it idle ,all seemed fine. When I went to lift the engine the trim/tilt motor ran down but not up. I replaced the relay it ran fine. Then I notice my helm was bad replace that. I took it to launch it. Started the engine all seemed fine at idle. I pushed the neutral switch in just to test it at higher rpm and the engine cut out. It would not crank and trim tilt did not work. Now it keeps blowing a 30 amp glass fuse back by the trim tilt fuses which are ok. If we don't turn the key the fuse stays and trim tilt works. But as soon as the ignition is turn on it blows the fuse. Someone is looking at it for me at this point but any help is appreciated. Thanks, Alan

What exactly at the helm was replaced?

Why in the helm was the neutral switch pushed in? Oh, and which neutral switch? Neutral position switch on the motor or the neutral safety switch on the motor?

What exactly at the helm was replaced?

Why in the helm was the neutral switch pushed in? Oh, and which neutral switch? Neutral position switch on the motor or the neutral safety switch on the motor?
I replaced the helm I guess it would be the hydraulic pump behind the dash. I pushed the neutral switch in on the throttle just to rev it up a little and see how it sounds before I was going to leave the trailer. Thanks for any help. Alan

Did you get this figured out? Think you mean the throttle-only button on the shift control? Sounds like something got hooked up wrong maybe when changing the high pressure pump or VST filter I'd check the power leads to the ignition relay and see where the trim wires are at. Sounds like something is crossed up somewhere.

Not yet I ordered the manual for the engine and a friend will look at it as I am back up in Pa again and the boat is in Florida. Yes it was the throttle only button. You are probably correct I will forward your advice to my friend. Thanks I will let you know after he looks at it.

Back