Logo

Bypassing two stroke oil injection pump motion sensor on a 1998 200 Mariner EFI

Bornmanb

Hi All

I please need some advice.

Unfortunately my 1998, 200HP Mariner EFI's, drive gear stripped, which caused and alarm via the motion sensor, due to the oil pump not turning anymore (Thanks for the sensor!!) (It is definitely stripped as when I removed the driven gear a lot of metal shavings came out with the shaft and the shaft does not turn anymore)

From my understanding, the entire engine has to be taken apart to get to the drive gear, which is located on the crank. The engine is still in a very good condition and I would NOT like to take it apart to just to repair this gear.

The cheapest option for me would be to rather go to a permanent pre-mix option of 50:1 ratio. If I ever have to do other major repair work, I will obviously repair this gear as well.

I was thinking of doing the following:

I would remove the magnet and the driven gear, (the shaft connecting the drive gear to the oil pump). I will leave the oil pump on the engine and just block off the pipe going to the vapor separator unit and blocking off the oil pipe coming from the reservoir tank.

I will also remove the link arm from the throttle lever to the oil pump and drain out all of the oil from the main tank as well as the tank on the back of the engine. I will simply unplug the oil reservoir's switch to keep an open circuit to make sure that does not cause an alarm.

My problem comes in with the motion sensor. From my understanding this sensor is at about 5 volts (I measured 4.96v) As the oil pump shaft is turned, the small magnet on the shaft takes this voltage down to just below 1v, telling the oil warning module if there is a problem or not.

Can anyone please advise me as to how I can bypass this sensor as it is not just a simple open and closed circuit? My assumption is that it needs to vary between 5v and less than 1v in order to not cause an alarm. So by just unplugging it should not work or will it?

If anybody disagrees with my reasoning above then please advise me accordingly? (Please let me know if this will work without breaking anything else :)

Thank you very much in advance

Regards
Borries

Hi

That is also the way I understood it. I understand that you can purchase an aftermarket steel one.

Thinking about it now, the stuff that came out when I pulled the driven gear out did not cling to the magnet so must have been some sort of plastic

It's composite gear two halves held together with two small screws and nuts . That's the issue here. If I remember rite, If it's not been modified , those 2 screws can get spit out exhaust , if not then u decide. Yes pull magnet and just disconnected wires. Yes pull long helical gear from pump, it uses Tcw oil for that shaft.( That's why that gear is pulled when blocking off) if not that gear locks up and trashes crank gear. As far as oil tanks just leave oil in tanks. For no alarm or drain oil and disconnect wires at tank or tanks. But please let someone with more expertise in that motor tell u OK

Back