Logo

Removing stuck zinc

HarryL

I have a 2010 Tohatsu MFS6B. The zinc has been changed before but not by me. The current one seems "ok", but I'd like to change it out so I know just how much is left. Unfortunately, after removing the bolt that holds it in place, I cannot remove the zinc. I tried gently prying around the edge of zinc with a screwdriver but I'm not sure what lies underneath so don't want to use to much force. For example is there a stud of some sort? From what I can see comparing a new zinc to the current, it seems like there shouldn't be anything in the way. What suggestions are there for popping this old one out?

thanks,
Harry

I tried to upload a photo but was told I was blocked by Cloudflare.

Cloudflare Ray ID: 60c77015b9b5383b • Your IP: 108.20.207.24

For the Forum, you have to reduce photo file size to under 1000k. Have you tried soaking it with a good oxidation blaster. Try mixing a 50/50 of the wife's nail polish remover (acetone) with some auto trany or power steering fluid.

Pop it loose by putting a drift or a bolt into the bolt hole. If over 50% of the old anode is still there, it doesn't need changed.

Thanks for the suggestions. FWIW, here are the photos I tried to upload yesterday.

QUOTE]

I have this same exact problem! Did you ever figure it out? I don't understand what I'm seeing - why does the zinc seem to encase the threaded stud, when the new rectangular zinc I have doesn't have a whole large enough to fit around the stud?

Even if I can chip out the old rock hard material, the new zinc will stand out from the stud, it won't be embedded / inset like this. Yet I triple checked that I bought the right OEM anode.

Back