Logo

Is this 6gal tank for a two hose setup?

Edchris177

Regular Contributor
This tank looks to be in good shape, is available for $15, & my fishing buddy wants to get a 6gal one as he only has a little 2gal tank.
The one I have does not seem to have the two little pins, nor the large pin that is under the locking pin.
will this work with the single Evinrude/Johnson fuel hose connector found on the ‘75 - ‘94 kickers? We have an 8hp, 9.9hp & a 15hp.
1789FC89-BB2A-4FB8-8403-D1E47138E833.png3DC427DF-8361-4EF7-9944-DCF7B6A76953.png261562F3-FA50-4B76-BC7B-121DFCFB679F.png

It is for a single hose ( non pressure ) set-up.----Those wee pins are valves.----When the hose is not on that fitting the tank is sealed.----When hose is attached the pins are pushed in.----One valve lets fuel out of the tank.---Other valve lets air in.-----These tanks are by far, much better than the plastic junk sold today !----That is a bargain at $15.00.

Thanks for that, I’ll pick it up tomorrow.
And I’ll bring you a good German beer(brought directly from Frankfurt), when I pick up that 8hp Evinrude.

Hey, don't forget me!!! I'll settle for a Hamm's!
Yes great tank. Make sure those little pins work....do their job, as Racer described. The tank, in other words, will build pressure with that coupling removed. When the coupling is in place, it creates a shielded "vent"....you will note that little hole angling downward, under the pin that activates the vent. Occasionally these tanks, when they get worn out, will leak out those wee pins....usually just one of them. I've taken these apart carefully and repaired them. Agreed.....These are great engineering....WAY better than plastic tanks.
When they gonna open Canada? My camps are gonna be destroyed!

Last edited:
Yes, that’s why we are/have stayed home for quite a while now. Unfortunately, some our politicians, who should be leading by example, as they make the rules, have gone in vacation.
Ontarios finance minister got canned, & rightly so for going to St Barths for 3 weeks. At a 50K pay reduction, that was an expensive ho,iday.
Tim, I’d bring you a lot better than Hamms...but it’s a hell of a drive to Minnesota!
Work made me go to Frankfurt about 5 weeks ago...my carry one weighed 60lbs. You can get 28 x 500ml cans in a carry on...good thing we are exempt from the liquids & gels rules.

Yup, thanks....I think beer is about the best thing you can drink. Not only refreshing, but thirst quenching.....in moderation, of course. Wife and I, with son.....bring 3 cases Labatts, when we go up...tax free at border, less than $20 bucks each. It's got enough alcohol that it won't freeze over winter inside the shack. I have a recording thermometer there that has shown -18F inside temp and same day - 43F outside temp. Never blew even one can.
Begin trip from Quibell Ont. 16 miles up Wabigoon river, then 1 mile through the bush.

Attachments

• IMG_20190825_183522546_compress25.jpg
    IMG_20190825_183522546_compress25.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Now that’s a loaded boat! Is there a kitchen sink somewhere?
I picked up the fuel tank today. No rust anywhere, even on the bottom, & pushing each of those wee pins gave an exhale of air, so it seems to be leakproof.
i don’t think it’s seen much use, the little yellow sticker on top is still perfectly readable.
it was also half full, so I essentially got it for free. I don’t know what mix the gas is, or isn’t, so I’ll burn it in the snowblower.

Last edited:
Emptied the gas put today, got a spray of fuel when I pushed the wrong pin, & a whoosh when undoing the cap.
I see now how these are much better than the plastic, these seal tight, & the extra pin, below the locking pin gives more security to the fuel hose.
The inside looks like it’s enamelled, I think that is just color reflection from the mixed gas. Anyway if it’s just galvanized, it seems spotless.
i had to look very closely to see that little vent hole Tim described, didn’t know about that.
Cant wait for spring to try out my new stuff, & the kickers Racer has fixed.

Excellent....sure wish guys like Racer, Joe, Gator, Pappy, Mr. Scott, Boobie, Chris, Ricardo, galamb, makomark, Bondo, o2batsea, etal here....were around when I was starting to learn..notice I said STARTING! Always continue to learn, remember...."the best teachers, are almost always, the best students".

Last edited:
Damn.... forgot Jeff...sorry, great man to follow too......so many more here too, newcomers with great experience.

Last edited:
EdChris177... Since you're apparently not familiar with that tank........

When the fuel connector is plugged onto the tank, it normally appears to be a unusual fit, loose, sort of sloppy, whereas one might think it's not pressing those small valve pins in. That's common, and if you can pump the fuel bulb properly, it's plugged in properly.

If there's any leakage at the connection and it proves to be one of the pins on the tank-fitting assembly, "O Rings" & "Core Plugs" are available at "This Site" or any reliable dealership whereas a knowledgeable person can repair that easily (No Big Deal!).

Some aftermarket and even OEM connectors get loose and sloppy, as you say, Joe. Have you ever taken a pliers and carefully bend the locking end/tab on the arm to hold the coupling tighter to the tank? This is very effective, especially on the cheaper coupling without the bushing inside the guide pin.

Attachments

• 3089-0062_1024x1024_crop_22~2.jpg
    3089-0062_1024x1024_crop_22~2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
When the fuel connector is plugged onto the tank, it normally appears to be a unusual fit, loose, sort of sloppy, whereas one might think it's not pressing those small valve pins in. That's common, and if you can pump the fuel bulb properly, it's plugged in properly).
Thanks for that. I got the connector with the tank, & yes, it did seem a bit loose compared to my other newer tanks. I looked at a parts diagram & saw how the Welch plugs retain the springs. It doesn’t leak when inverting the tank, & I got a good hiss of air when opening it, but I’ll have to wait til spring to see if it leaks while attached to motor.
im going to touch up the top of the fitting where the paint has chipped away.
A question about using them.
with the line hooked up to the tank, the vent valve will be open. We get quite a bit of diurnal variation in temps here, & it’s humid, resulting in very heavy dew in the morning. I’m thinking that air exchange would lead to condensation in the tank.
Do people undo the tank connection when not in use, to prevent this air exchange?

I suppose some do and some don't. Me?? Nah. And it might be humider in the Amazon jungle than summers here in FL, but I doubt it. Sure won't hurt if you do disconnect.

Agree with Gator. If your using the motor frequently...fine to leave it connected, but keep tank shaded. When not in use, I remove hose from tank and store out of sun and weather. Overwinter I try to leave tank full and of course pure non oxy fuel. All my tanks in Canada will be going on years stale now. Gonna be expensive hit if I can't get up there early springtime to use up the fuel.

I wouldn’t write that fuel off just yet. If it is no ethanol,(normally premium), & you had stabilizer in, it should be OK. These kickers are not high compression motors.
When living in the NWT, I used to store my in-board cruiser full for the winter...premium gas with Stabil. Due to various issues I once ended up with 2 year gas, & it was fine. We also used fuel cached on the Barrens, in 50 gal drums, some of that was 3-4 years old, & it burned OK.
I did try to use some leftover regular & experienced engine knock while under full throttle getting on plane. Mixing it with some new premium was enough to get rid of the knock, & saved us a bunch of $.
i do keep my kicker tanks shaded. I don’t like having a metal tank bang around on a metal floor, if nothing else it wears the paint off leading to rust. I keep part of a trampoline of a Hobie 18 Catamaran on the boat floor. The tank sits on that, & I can fold the top over the tank & primer bulb.

Excellent, info, sir....you been around. I really expect to burn that fuel. Shouldn't be a problem. It is all clear non oxy from USA. Don't buy your expensive fuel in Canada, unless it's for the car or truck.

Back