Logo

Excessive oil consumption

RicardoOberpaur

Hello, I have a 1993 2.5L 175hp v6.
I started the engine for the firstly time this year, and it was a nightmare. I found out oil had gone from the top reservoir to the gas line. As I primed the engine before start, I obviously flooded the carbs with oil. I later on had to prime the bulb about 4 times to start seeing pure fuel coming out again.

I then ran the engine.
Testing day results: used 30 liters of fuel in 1h15m, ran at 3200-4000 rpm most of the time.

It consumed 1.25 liters of oil!! i.e. close to 25:1 ratio. More than double the "max rate". Oil pump linkage is working.

But looking at the geometry of the whole thing, I think the oil pump is not working at all: oil flows downwards from top reservoir to oil pump, and from there downward to gas line next to the connector on the front of the engine.

This would explain why I had oil all the way to the primer bulb in a period of 6 months. It just flows down.

Any thoughts?

Ricardo

Well.. Today I discovered something while cleaning and checking the system. The linkage was installed incorrectly! In the picture you can see how it was installed. I disconnected the linkage, turned the pump mechanism 90 degrees clockwise and reconnected. Now the marks are aligned and the whole thing looks like the manual shows it. I'll test later today to see if it is pumping oil.

For some reason I can't attach the picture. Anyway... Linkage was turning the pump counterclockwise, according to the picture in the manual it has to turn clockwise. Initial test on land was ok, tomorrow I will go for a 1 hour test run.

Back