Logo

1993 Yamaha 2 Stroke Trouble

ThePringle

Just bought myself a duck boat a couple of weeks ago. When I looked at the boat it ran fine on the muffs and started great. It idled for 5-10 minutes while I was looking over the rest of the boat and listening for the engine to change during it's warmup. After listening I bought the boat and took it straight to the ramp. It ran like I champ! No problems at all. The next day I take the boat out it starts just fine, but won't go above 2,000 or so RPM even at full throttle (I'm guessing as I don't have a tack). I ran the boat for a couple of minutes letting it warm up and then decided to go back to the ramp incase something was wrong. As I'm going back to the ramp I tried to get the boat up on plane and gave it full throttle and it revs just as it should and ran fine for the rest of the time I was out on it. This has been the case everytime I have take the boat out. Won't get over ~2,000 RPM for a random amount of time and then suddenly runs like it's perfect. I say a random amount of time as the time/distance is changing. One hunt I ran half way across the sound and it picked right up and ran fine, the next at the same spot/run i had to putt all the way across and then it was ready to run as I was getting to my spot. Any thoughts on this? It runs perfect after some amount of time, but won't throttle up when first started. There is also a little bit of surging or quick reving before the boat is ready to run full throttle. Sorry for the lengthy post, just wanted to try and give everyone a good idea of what's going on.

When you clean the carbs, make sure the float needles in each carb do not hang up in the seat. I sand them a little to give them some more clearance..... I have had them hang up and cause an intermittent power loss.

Loosen the 10mm bolts that hold the fuel pumps to the block, wiggle the pump to loosen it from the gasket and squeeze the primer ball, no gas should come out of the fuel pumps pulse port. If it does, replace the pumps.

Last edited:
When you clean the carbs, make sure the float needles in each carb do not hang up in the seat. I sand them a little to give them some more clearance..... I have had them hang up and cause an intermittent power loss.

Thanks for the advice, I am currently trying to find a local place with rebuild kits. I will make sure to check that the float needles don't get hung up.

Back