Logo

Volvo Penta Leg kicking up in reverse.

bobus

Hi all, new to this forum, i have a 1980 28foot flybridge with a Volvo Penta petrol engine, coupled with a 270/280 outdrive leg - not exactly sure which one.

I have a problem where the leg kicks up in reverse only, and will not reverse as the leg is raised, i read something about the reversing lock being broken or jammed.

My question is, is it possible to fix whilst the boat is in the water, as i do not have a trailer.

Are you able to unscrew the leg cover on the front, is it water tight? As i believe there is cable adjustment inside the leg cover also.

Any help would be great as i'm stressing out.

Hi all, new to this forum, i have a 1980 28foot flybridge with a Volvo Penta petrol engine, coupled with a 270/280 outdrive leg - not exactly sure which one.

I have a problem where the leg kicks up in reverse only, and will not reverse as the leg is raised, i read something about the reversing lock being broken or jammed.
See below

My question is, is it possible to fix whilst the boat is in the water, as i do not have a trailer.
Very unlikely.

Are you able to unscrew the leg cover on the front, is it water tight?
The shift mechanism cover is behind the drive.
It is not a water tight cover.

As i believe there is cable adjustment inside the leg cover also.
There is an adjustment there that can be made.
However, it will not have anything to do with the latch hooks not holding.

Most likely suspects:

Worn or broken latch hooks.
Broken latch hook assembly center lift spring
Broken or missing latch hook "over-centering" springs.
Broken or missing set pin.
Jammed up push rod that is holding the latch hooks in the Un-latched position.
A vice rod that is not fully retracting, and is holding pressure against the push rod's thrust sleeve.

Not all of these would be easy or possible to repair with the boat in the water.

Use caution.... a drive that kicks up hard will damage things.

Last edited:
There is one other possibility... Did reverse ever work for you correctly in this boat ??? When I had my current boat reengined, among the things the "mechanic" and self proclaimed "Volvo expert" did was replace the incorrect pitch ( and rotation) prop. When he did this, he changed the "sense" of the FWD/REV shift at the control head and not at the drive as he should have. Result.... the same thing you are seeing now. What he did resulted in the prop rotating correctly but the drive anti kick up lock occurred while the drive was in FWD and not while in REV.... Check that the "shift rod" (see attached) is correctly installed. This check/fix can be done while boat is in the water by tilting the drive up and removing the back cover. Be careful not to loose the cotter pin or washer.

Attachments

• PropRotation.pdf
    32.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
If I may:

When moving the shift cable into the FORWARD gear selection, the cable will extend at the gear yoke.
This does not move the coupling rod into the lock brace.

When moving the shift cable into the REVERSE gear selection, the cable will retract at the gear yoke.
This will move the coupling rod into the lock brace (see red line).

However, when the lock brace is pushed forward it only prevents the over-centering of the latch hooks.
Under normal reversing, it will not cause the drive to kick up!

(the main purpose for activating the "lock brace" is to prevent the over-centering springs from releasing the latch hooks during excessive reversing thrust!)

AQ series gear yoke and shift cable direction.jpg

Once all of this is correct, what Bob shows us (moving the vertical rod to one side or the other) will correct the prop shaft rotation for either a LH or RH propeller, or for the Duo Prop lower gear unit.

Last edited:
Back