Logo

Help Merc 260

Robertkuruc

Hi I have a 1994 larson with a Merc 260, center bolt valve covers? 12 bolt intake manifold, I have a friend that’s selling a rebuilt merc 260 out of a 91 stingray but it has outside perimeter bolt valve covers, will this engine work in my boat? Sorry newb to boats here know my ins and out of mechanics but this was confusing me?

If the 350 in the '91 has perimeter valve cover bolts it is a 1986 or older block 2 piece rear main seal. They went o center bolt valve covers and 1 piece rear main in late '86 and permanently in 1987.

The blocks are interchangeable for swapping purposes as shown by a pre '87 being installed in a '91 which should bolt right in a '94

This would be for a complete assembly swap not just the BLOCK. as said below there are a couple differences between bolt on components for 1 and 2 piece rear main seal blocks

Last edited:
Make sure you keep flywheel with the motor, as the 2 piece seal DOES NOT NEED the externally balanced flywheel. (Unless it's a 400....or "stroker". Fuel pumps also must be considered.....as well as intake manifold angle and bolt configuration.

Make sure you keep flywheel with the motor, as the 2 piece seal DOES NOT NEED the externally balanced flywheel. (Unless it's a 400....or "stroker". Fuel pumps also must be considered.....as well as intake manifold angle and bolt configuration.

thanks bud, yea the engine compartment is pretty roomy, so I’m pretty sure I can keep everything that’s on the new engine intact, I just wasn’t sure if the compatability

Back