Logo

2001 DF115 Low oil experience

Dkwon

Hey guys just trying to get some insight on a issue that happened on the water the other day.

Left boat ramp and motored out of the inlet around 3k rpm. Once we we out of the inlet and cruising, increased rpm to 4k and right after that you could hear the rpms surge and lose forward power like if you pushed the clutch in a manual car while accelerating. We motored back to the boat ramp at around 2.5-3k rpm and did some testing. Everytime I pushed rpm past 4k the same surge and loss of power would happen. It almost seemed like the engine went into neutral, but I didn't feel any shifting happening. Check the oil and I couldn't get a measure on the dip stick. Ended up adding about 1.25 quarts. Ran engine in idle and low rpm. Eventually I could get to about 4.5k rpm but it would surge again. Just idled around for a bit and then I gave it another try and there was no issues. Checked oil multiple times and it didn't drop.

Couple things I noticed. On the suzuki tachometer with the 4 monitor lights. The oil light doesn't turn on when you initially turn the key. And I didn't get any alarms. So going to figure that out as well.

But my question is, was that surging of rpm a way of the engine protecting itself from low oil pressure? I always heard of the 3k rpm rev limiter, but this surge of rpm sounds like 5-6k rpm, like I said it was like you were increasing throttle but then suddenly pop into neutral or push a clutch in a manual car.

Any insight would be great. Thanks!

First thing I would do is try another propeller.----Sounds like a classic case of drive hub slipping.

That is something that I thought might be the issue too. I'll go ahead and do some trial runs with current prop and my spare prop next time it's warm out. Thank you for your input.

Back