Logo

identify Belgium made 9.8 by serial number?

CobraVin

Hi, I have a Belgium made 9.8 serial number 9383398 can anyone id it or tell me where to find any info on it, I need parts for it. Thanks

Hi Racerone. Whatever parts I may need to get it running. Maintenance items, carb parts maybe. Don't know yet. I don't plan to visit a dealer for parts but I would still like to identify the year, model and maybe even get a manual for it, so I first need to identify it. That's why I asked my question. Do you have any parts for my engine? Is that why you asked or were you just curious. Any idea or where to look to find my answer? I have googled it but the online dealers show "serial number not found" when I search that way. Thanks.

Well----I know what your motor looks like inside and out.----Have boxes of good used parts too.----Try searching for a 1985 model as yours is in that range.----.Your serial # is listed right here on this site at " engine diagrams " in the box.-----Just a few clicks to find it !----Your location ?

"just a few clicks to find it" Well googling and using "more than a few clicks" and still being unable to find a serial number lookup that actually worked with MY serial number is the reason I asked on this site. It was because of the dozens of people asking the same question I did and giving their serial number and receiving many helpful answers telling them what year they have and other great info to their question. Yes I already put my serial number in on this site as well and it says "not found" I see where it shows parts for belgium made 9.8's from after a certain serial number and that's great but it doesn't answer the question I asked. Is there a site that I can go to that shows exactly what I have by a serial number search? My location is listed right in my profile as Jersey Shore as in New Jersey, ..... you?

Thanks for the reply, like I said in my last post I have seen the link you provided, which is great to buy parts but I was looking to find a serial number lookup (that works) to identify the year. Any idea where to find one if they exist? Or can you tell me how you estimated 81-82 I know racerone thinks it's in the 85 range I just thought it would be easier to find a definitive serial number decoder for the Belgium made models, maybe not as I have clicked my ass off on google with no luck, haha. Merry Christmas

Mercury: 9.8-30Hp (autorepairmanuals.biz)
It shows 9250256- as '80/'81 Same model. The next number series is 9418306 - 9445985 as '85. So as your number is between the starting number for '80/'81, and the starting number for '85 ,also above the starting number in the parts diagram,I would say it's a safe bet that it's '80/'81.

Thanks, it still amazes me that there is no definitive resource (aside from peoples memory and expertise) to id these motors. After the holidays I will try to contact Mercury and see if they can be more specific and tell me if there were any parts changes within that range. I guess it doesn't matter that much as long as the replacement parts fit but seems strange to me. My Springfield that fought in two world wars is easier to id, in fact that serial number even shows when it received updated heat treatment, haha. Oh well.

Not strange to me at all.--------Most parts were the same year after year.-----Why would you demand resources ( for free ) on a 40 year old product ?----You could look up / compare the parts right here on this site.----Just a few clicks for all the information.

First off, who cares if it's not strange to you, I said I found it strange. I didn't know I needed your approval or corroboration on My post when I say something. If it annoys, angers or bothers you to the point that you can't reply without a ****ty and rude tone than keep scrolling pal. Ill get by without you Richard.

I know it's not just me because I have seen many other posts where your abrasive and rude replies have annoyed other members. I am surprised the mods haven't reprimanded you. Despite your knowledge of outboard motors, people like you are slow cancers to internet forums. Secondly who is "demanding resources" from anyone? Did you just make that up in your miserable little head? I have called Mercury before on other products of theirs I have owned why wouldn't I. Or were you offended that I asked for information on this site? which from what I have seen is a great resource with many friendly and helpful member unlike you. Until now I have tried to politely explain and clarify what Info I was looking for, even though you seemed to feel I should be content with your unresponsive answer and statements like "I know what your motor looks like inside and out" and "Have boxes of good used parts too"....wow good for you, congrats chief. Asking "your location?" when it's right in my profile, unlike yours. And again with the "just a few clicks for all the information"

I have tried to ignore your ****ty tone and even thanked you. Are you gonna reply "good luck with your motor" again? Seriously why are you such a J O ? Don't answer, that's a rhetorical question,I don't really care, just go away. Hope you had a deserved Christmas.

Hallo im looking for parts for my mercury 850 85hp
Its made in belgium but i cant find any info .
Can somebody help me to identify
Serialnumber is 9363547
Thanks

Back