Logo

Starter bendix gear rubbing flywheel 15hp Mercury 2-stroke- can it be shimmed?

SAABologist

Happy holiday season and thanks in advance for your help.

Problem: Decided to add a starter for the heck of it, and so my wife knows she can start the motor without me. I got the ring gear and spare flywheel for $30, so figured it's worth it. I bought an OEM equivalent from eBay. It fits, teeth mesh, but the bendix gear rubs on bottom of flywheel both in the engaged position and dis-engaged position. I attached photos.

- 15hp Mercury 2-stroke, 1998
- OEM starter is 90983A1 and the one I bought is supposed to be a match. It fits fine.
- See photos, Teeth mesh, bottom of bendix gear rubs bottom flywheel when engaged, bendix teeth rub bottom of flywheel when dis-engaged.
- I have not run the starter yet.

Questions:
Can shims be added that would solve this problem? Where would I shim the gear?
Is it just the wrong gear? What gear would be the correct one?

Thanks again, Gear engaged teeth fit.jpgGear disengaged rubs flywheel.jpgGear engaged rubbing.jpg

What flywheel did you buy ?-------Taking 0.020" off the flywheel might work.-------What are the numbers / brand on the starter you bought ?-----Made in a far away place ?

Last edited:
Take the bendix off starter and grind the area in red..thiss will allow it to slip further down shaft//no need to shim.

bendix.jpg

Thanks for the help. I returned this starter to eBay and ordered another one from DB electric. It fits perfectly. So I think the one I got from a vendor on eBay has a batch that is not built to specifications. Thanks again,

Back