Logo

Help With 35HP Mercury Outboard, Power trim

Cooper=

Hello, I am new to this forum, as I just got a outboard mercury. I am also just starting to work on motors, I am a college student and have fixed up a couple motors off various things before. I bought the motor used with a couple issues with it and was looking for some help, mainly with the power trim.
Motor info: 35 HP Outboard Mercury, I believe 1985 is the year, but if someone knows better please correct me. Serial Number is A185738, and I am unsure of the model number. I will upload a few pictures to this post as well.

When I bought the motor, the seller claimed that the power trim lift system was working, and when I set it up on the stand to test it when I first started working on the motor the power trim raised the motor a few inches, and then lowered it back to the original height, however it would not lower the motor all the way down (its about half way up). After this the power trim has not moved the motor at all. I have checked the hydraulic fluid, topped it off and its currently mounted the right way up. The hydraulic pump will run (makes a noise like its running when connected to a battery) but it does not lift or lower the motor, as if it is not engaging. I have looked around and found some diagrams for it but nothing super useful online. I was wondering if there is a good way to trouble shoot this or bleed the system or should I clean the lines, but then again how would I get air out of the system. Again, it was supposedly working before I bought it, but it did sit in their barn for a few months, so I expected issues with it.

Also if anyone can correct the year or confirm it being a 1985 that would be great.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, diagrams, troubleshooting, common issues, possible solutions would all be great! As I said I am new to this and have only worked on a couple motors before so all help is useful.
If there is any other information I can give about the motor that would be useful, please let me know as well and I will see what I can do!
IMG_20201123_173946 (1).jpgIMG_20201125_155547 (1).jpgIMG_20201125_155553 (1).jpgIMG_20201124_164059 (1).jpgIMG_20201124_164044 (1).jpgIMG_20201124_164028 (2).jpg

Firstly check the fluid level.Should be to the threads of the fill screw. The hex bolt in pic second from the bottom. Next make sure knurled knob in same pic is full left.Actually do that first. And number makes it '85

Hi All,

Thank you for your help, I was able to get the power trim working! However, as soon as I mounted it to the boat the rod that goes through the motor mount to the power trim cylinder mounts broke, but it seems to be rusted in. I have tried a few things, but it looks like I will have to cut and drill it out and fabricate a new one but I wanted to see if there were any suggestions first! I have picture I can email or send, but I can't figure out how to upload additional photos beyond the ones I had for my previous post.

Thanks!

Yes I have it I bought from Mercury but it only covers 1975-1978 models, you'll need a newer one if your motor is a 1985.

Hi, I'm also an engineer student and some help would be welcome. I need a link to some reliable books or just papers about motor fixing. It's my graduation year, so it is important for me.

Hello, I am new to this forum, as I just got a outboard mercury. I am also just starting to work on motors, I am a college student and have fixed up a couple motors off various things before. I bought the motor used with a couple issues with it and was looking for some help, mainly with the power trim.
Motor info: 35 HP Outboard Mercury, I believe 1985 is the year, but if someone knows better please correct me. Serial Number is A185738, and I am unsure of the model number. I will upload a few pictures to this post as well.

When I bought the motor, the seller claimed that the power trim lift system was working, and when I set it up on the stand to test it when I first started working on the motor the power trim raised the motor a few inches, and then lowered it back to the original height, however it would not lower the motor all the way down (its about half way up). After this the power trim has not moved the motor at all. I have checked the hydraulic fluid, topped it off and its currently mounted the right way up. The hydraulic pump will run (makes a noise like its running when connected to a battery) but it does not lift or lower the motor, as if it is not engaging. I use Paperell to get term papers for sale and learn about engineering theories and others. I was wondering if there is a good way to trouble shoot this or bleed the system or should I clean the lines, but then again how would I get air out of the system. Again, it was supposedly working before I bought it, but it did sit in their barn for a few months, so I expected issues with it.

Also if anyone can correct the year or confirm it being a 1985 that would be great.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, diagrams, troubleshooting, common issues, possible solutions would all be great! As I said I am new to this and have only worked on a couple motors before so all help is useful.
If there is any other information I can give about the motor that would be useful, please let me know as well and I will see what I can do!
View attachment 25738View attachment 25739View attachment 25740View attachment 25741View attachment 25742View attachment 25743
Hey Cooper, have you found all the answers you needed? Try helping Christine since I would also ask you if I can DM you about some common things I observed in your photos with my car. Thanks in advance, and waiting for feedback.

When I bought the motor, the seller claimed that the power trim lift system was working, and when I set it up on the stand to test it when I first started working on the motor the power trim raised the motor a few inches, and then lowered it back to the original height, however it would not lower the motor all the way down (its about half way up). After this the power trim has not moved the motor at all. I have checked the hydraulic fluid, topped it off and its currently mounted the right way up. The hydraulic pump will run (makes a noise like its running when connected to a battery) but it does not lift or lower the motor, as if it is not engaging. I have looked around and found some diagrams for it but nothing super useful online. Besides that as I said before, I'm a college student and I don't know how to time manage to manage this engine, I'm trying to read here about how I could organize my time to manage to do more stuff. I hope it works for me, but some advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance. Again, it was supposedly working before I bought it, but it did sit in their barn for a few months, so I expected issues with it.

View attachment 25738View attachment 25739View attachment 25740View attachment 25741View attachment 25742View attachment 25743

But still I have the impression that it is one of the most unsuccessful engines(
because I have now purchased one and have already been to the repair shop several times.

They started making them in 1965 so I'd say they were successful, maybe your repair shop isn't competent or interested in the motor.

When I bought the motor, the seller claimed that the power trim lift system was working, and when I set it up on the stand to test it when I first started working on the motor the power trim raised the motor a few inches, and then lowered it back to the original height, however it would not lower the motor all the way down (its about half way up). After this the power trim has not moved the motor at all. I have checked the hydraulic fluid, topped it off and its currently mounted the right way up. The hydraulic pump will run. I used https://edubirdie.com/buy-dissertation to graduate because my decision to buy dissertation also brought knowledge. I have looked around and found some diagrams for it but nothing super useful online. I was wondering if there is a good way to trouble shoot this or bleed the system or should I clean the lines, but then again how would I get air out of the system. Again, it was supposedly working before I bought it, but it did sit in their barn for a few months, so I expected issues with it.

This engine has served me for over 10 years, I was still doing my school studies. I trust its reliability and durability more than any other engine.
Hey Ralphgoff, haven't you heard that this engine's low maintenance and ease of repair is as legendary as its performance?

Yes, I have heard that this engine is known for its low maintenance, ease of repair, and performance. College studies and customer feedback support its reputation for reliability and durability. These factors, combined with its ease of use and low cost of ownership, make it a popular choice among many users. After accessing a research paper writing service, many students and professionals have relied on this engine for various projects and assignments, finding it a reliable option. https://edusson.com/research-paper-writing-service is also a reliable source for such research information analysis. Users' long-standing trust in this engine, like is a testament to its durability and performance over time.

Back