Logo

Trim Tilt assembly rebuild

Oahu, HI. No one I could find doing it out here. The one installed is leaking from a guide rod seal. I have an older spare engine that I'm harvesting for parts as needed.

Matt,
I've seen posts by chawk_man about some reasonably priced trim/tilt units that he has knowledge of if you might want to just replace it.
Hopefully he'll chime in and elaborate.
Good luck.

The last one I bought was off of eBay (for a friend's BF 50). You just need to be real careful about who you are buying from and fully understand why it is being sold. Be sure there is a stated, reasonable return policy. eBay is pretty good about covering you in that respect. And as soon as you get it, check that it is the right part and bench test it extensively. However, living in HI your shipping costs may be fairly high unless you can find one locally.

As for rebuilds - you may need to do a deep search. Seems like there are very few folks out there who do the rebuilds, especially Honda's. Here is one in Florida that makes some good claims on their website, but I have no experience dealing with them:
https://www.trimandtilt.com/index.html

Given the cost of used units on eBay, and their cost of $430 for doing the rebuild, I would be inclined to try them. Plus you are assured that what you get back will be the proper part.

Alternatively, an experienced marine mechanic could likely do the rebuild for about the same cost given the shop manual and the rebuild kit.

I've put kits in the trims for the 20hp and they weren't too bad at all but the bigger ones may not be so easy. I thought I had failed on my first one because it turns out that they are absolute boogers to bleed. It seems to take forever to purge the air.

I've also wondered about just taking one to a hydraulic shop and seeing if they would take a crack at it. They can't be more complicated than most of the pumps and motors they work on. Just a bit "miniature" comparitively speaking.

When skinning the cat, have sharp knives and many ways close at hand. :>)

5 Star rebuilt my 1997 BF90 Tnt about 2 years ago. I did have to pay extra for new end caps not covered by the $430. No problems with the TnT unit, it works very well.

Oahu, HI is a long ways from their shop in Florida... That was a quick turn around! The Honda 90 Tilt and Trim I had them rebuild nearly 3 years ago is still working fine.

Back