Logo

Thermostat replacement - need to drain any coolant?

OnPlaneDrifter

Hi, have 2004 CC 6.0s closed cooling w/v-drives...would like to replace the t-stats but not sure how high the coolant level is. The t-stat housings are at the top of the HE...if I remove, will I have a coolant spill? Thanks!

Bonus question - any recommendations on the best way to flush cooling system?

If the cooling system is full, the T-stat should be wet. If you remove it, you will have the opportunity for a spill, so draining a couple quarts would be prudent. as far as flushing the closed side goes, using a good brand named automotive flushing agent usually works fine. Just make sure you get the appropriate amount and follow the directions. The 6.0's are typically equipped w/ DEXCOOL so plan accordingly. I have found that the raw water side usually requires cleaning long before the closed side...

I have had much better luck dumping the Dexcool and replacing with old fashioned green Prestone. Flushing or complete overhaul is a must to rid the system of the Dexcool. In automotive applications I have corrected numerous heater core and water pumps....(aluminum)....which I blame Dexcool.
Check out this report.
https://itstillruns.com/difference-between-green-orange-coolant-12194703.html
A section of this report.....very true, I have done warranty work on these myself.

I look for ethylene glycol......lasts almost indefinitely.
The propylene glycol alternative has demonstrated a much shorter life.....why? For some reason it seems to conflict with other anti corrosive additives. Honestly, I have ethylene coolants in all my collector and vintage cars/trucks......some have been in there for 35 years......so this isn't just "talk"......problem is....it will kill your pet if it's consumed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201221-151311.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221-151311.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back