Logo

safe compression ratio sbc

Yup, makes little difference, but I would insulate the supply line on a long run. Compression is King....what you have on your avatar is proof, eh?
Just MY opinion, but 8 to 1 compression is for farm tractors.

Last edited:
Is that a Chevy....can't quite tell. Isn't 8 to 1 a good ratio for supercharging? Really, supercharging is a great way to build smoother, manageable power, but everything I've ever built is 9.5 to 1 or better. I'm not a big fan of cutting a giant hole in the hood either.....folks don't anticipate what they might be up against. Do still have my old 67 Ford Wagon....with a tunnel ram on the SCJ 429, but also have a second hood which can cover the big Holley on the ported FOMOCO SCJ intake. Custom Hooker headers, since the 67's only came with FE's.....only had to modify the idler arm. The big 429's were more available than the 427/428's, when I did the build in 1976.....sold my 1974 El Tigre' Arctic Cat....in order to aquire the 429 which some joker had slammed in a 1966 Galaxie XL. I was just a stupid kid trying to build something different. Wagons today seem pretty cool. Guess I liked Ford's....cause everyone seemed to be doing Chevys.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone!
Let's try our best to keep it civil and friendly today.

A few more points and comments pertaining to some recent responses:

Whether we use a Full Dished, a LCQ or a D-Dished style piston, the dish volume, the combustion chamber volume, the deck height and the compressed head gasket thickness, all determine our Static Compression Ratio for a given bore/stroke.

Unless a Flat Top or a Domed piston is used, one way or another there is going to be volume within the piston deck for this particular build.

Relying on the Full Dished piston's "dished area" for water intrusion space makes no sense to me.
Perhaps that could be further explained!

And again, what some people may not be understanding is that the Full Dished piston brings a dished area up underneath the cylinder head's quench surface.
(see the illustration on the left side)

Quench and Squish area explained 4.jpg
This is not a good idea because a dished area in this location gives the flame front an area to hide in.
No matter how you chop, dice, cut, smash or blend this, the GM style Full Dished piston is a lousy idea.

Now, when we switch to a LCQ or a D Dish piston, the piston deck volume is still there. It's simply moved from with underneath the cylinder head's quench surface and is placed out into the area underneath the combustion chamber, where it belongs.
(see the illustration at the right side in the above image)
In this scenario, we now have a piston quench surface approaching a cylinder head quench surface, therefor eliminating the area for the flame front to hide in. And we still have the piston's dished area to control our S C/R.

The Flat Top piston used with the 76cc chamber heads works well for the 5.7L (3.480" stroke). However, it does NOT work well with the 6.2L or 6.3L (3.750" stroke) engine. The Static Compression Ratio would exceed 10.0:1.
I'm not sure why that was even mentioned.

As for the cabin heater or water heater coolant plumbing, I was simply pointing out the correct "supply" and "return" areas.
Correct.... the cabin heater won't care about coolant flow direction. However, the location of a Shut-Off valve will care!

As for a hand full of guys not liking the Full Dished pistons and that making them bad.
The alleged hand full of us are certainly not alone.

And by the way, Returntrip (the OP here in this thread) is apparently going in the direction of a Q/E build.
Smart move!

Thanks for the response on cooling gentleman, I was planning initially on using a crank driven pump. I am planning on making a fully closed cooling system. I have brand new bowtie Vortec heads but have never even seen a carb. Vortec intake manifold, i have no idea of flow pattern or if there are any wter outlet port to work with? can i use the crnk driven pump in conjunction with stern drive pump? Also my forged crank is about ready for balancing (1 pc. rear, Mercruiser 377) Should I get double roller T-gear set so I can give the shop lower gear? Is double actually necessary? 1more q. Can i use a Vortec sbc flywheel I have from another 5.7 engine i have for the Mercruiser 377 crank balance? Sorry for all the questions guys, lot of variables to deal with being a diesel mechanic & not working on gas jobs often. Thanks Ricky Ricardo, One more question Too Rick... Do you still love Lucy???

By the way the original Flywheel that was on that crank, had a GM casting #93433010 which i believe ive seen for sale on e-bay listed as 5.7 flywheel & should I try & bring back to life the front damper (salt water sinking) Willthey need that one or maybe guide to wher i could buy if needed for crank balance. Thanks so much.

Thanks for the response on cooling gentleman, I was planning initially on using a crank driven pump.
Another good call.
The Johnson F5B-9 is an excellent choice for the Half System. If you do a Full System, you can go with the F6B-9.
Both mount in the same way.

FYI.... when both F5B-9 ports aim to Port side, the
lower port becomes the suction side, and the upper port becomes the supply.
If you were to aim the
F5B-9 ports to Starboard, the upper port will be suction, and the bottom port will be supply.

Keep in mind..... if you are running a Merc A drive, the A drive seawater pump must remain active for upper unit cooling.

I am planning on making a fully closed cooling system.

I have brand new bowtie Vortec heads but have never even seen a carb. Vortec intake manifold, i have no idea of flow pattern or if there are any wter outlet port to work with?
FYI.... with your Closed Cooling system, you can use one of the Edelbrock Automotive SBC Vortec intakes if you want to.
These will have the port for cabin heater and/or water heater coolant supply in the correct location.

SBC edelbrock vortec intake manifold - Google Search

can i use the crnk driven pump in conjunction with stern drive pump?
You'll have a choice.
1..... T the A drive seawater supply into your thru-hull pick up for the Crankshaft seawater pump supply.
2..... divert the A drive seawater pump supply over-board after it passes through the upper unit.

Also my forged crank is about ready for balancing (1 pc. rear, Mercruiser 377) Should I get double roller T-gear set so I can give the shop lower gear?
Did you mean "sprocket", or are going with gears?

Is double actually necessary?
If going with a roller cam assembly, the friction is quite a bit less, therefor putting less force against the timing chain and sprockets.
Your call on that.

Can i use a Vortec sbc flywheel I have from another 5.7 engine i have for the Mercruiser 377 crank balance?
The 377 (std 4.000" bore) and 383 (4.030" bore) rotating assembly is based on the SBC 400 cu in engine.
The flywheel is unique to this crankshaft, as is the harmonic balancer.

One more question Too Rick... Do you still love Lucy???
I've always loved Lucy!

By the way the original Flywheel that was on that crank, had a GM casting #93433010 which i believe ive seen for sale on e-bay listed as 5.7 flywheel & should I try & bring back to life the front damper (salt water sinking) Will they need that one or maybe guide to wher i could buy if needed for crank balance.

The 3.750" throw crankshaft needs the correct flywheel and harmonic balancer.
The 5.7L flywheel and/or balancer will not work.

Last edited:
Don't forget, the 400 crankshaft sometimes will interfere with the oil pump driveshaft....make sure you have the correct oil pump shaft.....they are stepped down for clearance. I have had many 350 flywheels balanced to 400's. An experienced shop can produce a perfect balance. Harmonic balancers are for 400 SB cranks only. Got some sweet used ones here.

Last edited:
Thanks for that input timguy, Im going to pick up crank tomorrow, had it magnafluxed and mains got cut .010. Ill definitely stay in touch about balancing parts.

Wow, your knowledge is a great help Rick. I would have never known about upper cooling on the A drive. Although I was planning on installing a "T" before the pump. I have a good heat exchanger and a Sherwood crank driven pump I took of a bbchevy before it got scrapped. Instead of fabricting all my own brackets for my own system I think ill buy one. Im not familiar with the Johnson FB systems you mentioned, Ill hve to google that and check it out & see who sells them. I did see some systems on line @ Mr. Cool & Performanceproducts? maybe. I bought the Bowtie Vortecs so i can go either way on Intakes I have 2 Mercruiser Quad intakes one with choke stove and anothe 5.7 with aluminum intake, roller engine but non, vortec head with 6 per side itake bolts. Obviously I want the closest match to the bowtie vortec runners. If you think the sbc Edelbrock is a good choice I might just go with that. What do you think of Brezinski Intake? My mistake on calling the sprocket a gear. Im extremely confused, I have the original flywheel that came off the mercruiser stroker crank. It definately has a standard GM casting number that fits 5.0 5.7 sbc 1 piece rear main seal cranks, WHAT GIVES??? The crank has a laser inscribed mercruiser number that comes up as 377c.i. forged $1,342.00 crankshaft that is no longer available anywhere. The journals all mic.d out at standard sbc measurements. 5.7 rods where attached to crank. Is it possible G.M. made this crank specifically for Merc. Could it be internally balanced? Also rod journals are hollowed out , I assume for lighter weight or oiling>very confused, but loving it! The more knowledge I gain the better! Cant figure out crank, why the 5.7 flywheel?????

Thanks for that input timguy, Im going to pick up crank tomorrow, had it magnafluxed and mains got cut .010. Ill definitely stay in touch about balancing parts.
You no doubt know this....... the OEM 400 crankshaft's main journals are 2.650" in diameter, and will need to be turned down to 2.450" diameter in order to fit into the 5.7L cylinder block. Rod journal size is the same between the 350 and 400 cranks.
Now with that said...... your Merc 377 crankshaft may already be at 2.450" before you removed .005" (.005" off = .010" under).

Wow, your knowledge is a great help Rick.
Thank you.... glad to help!

I would have never known about upper cooling on the A drive. Although I was planning on installing a "T" before the pump.
I have a good heat exchanger and a Sherwood crank driven pump I took of a bb chevy before it got scrapped.

The Sherwood P-105 and the Johnson F5B-9 and F6B-9 are interchangeable. Same mounting bolt pattern.
The Sherwood impeller is keyed to the shaft.....

shopping

...... whereas the Johnson impellers are splined to the shaft.

Instead of fabricting all my own brackets for my own system I think ill buy one.

Im not familiar with the Johnson FB systems you mentioned, Ill hve to google that and check it out & see who sells them.
See above. Either are good seawater pumps.

I did see some systems on line @ Mr. Cool & Performanceproducts?

I bought the Bowtie Vortecs so i can go either way on Intakes I have 2 Mercruiser Quad intakes one with choke stove and anothe 5.7 with aluminum intake, roller engine but non, vortec head with 6 per side itake bolts. Obviously I want the closest match to the bowtie vortec runners.
Yes, good call!

If you think the sbc Edelbrock is a good choice I might just go with that. What do you think of Brezinski Intake?
I'm seeing cast iron only. I like the idea of the weight savings w/ the aluminum.

My mistake on calling the sprocket a gear.
No biggy..... that is a very common error. I just wasn't sure which way you were going.

Im extremely confused, I have the original flywheel that came off the mercruiser stroker crank. It definately has a standard GM casting number that fits 5.0 5.7 sbc 1 piece rear main seal cranks, WHAT GIVES???
I can't answer that one. I would see if you can contact a Merc Factory Rep and ask the question.
Or..... ask your machine shop person who will be doing the balancing for you.

The flywheel will either balance out with the crankshaft, or will not balance out with the crankshaft. He will know immediately.

The crank has a laser inscribed mercruiser number that comes up as 377c.i.
That would be correct.
The standard 4.00" bore block with a the 3.450" stroke crankshaft works out to be 377 cu in.
When you see an engine listed as a 377 stroker, it is a new engine from GM, not a re-man.

forged $1,342.00 crankshaft that is no longer available anywhere. The journals all mic.d out at standard sbc measurements. 5.7 rods where attached to crank. Is it possible G.M. made this crank specifically for Merc?
Very possibly!

Could it be internally balanced?
That is possible. This would be a good question for a Merc Rep.
Also, see the thread that I link us to below. Post #61 touches on balancing.

Also rod journals are hollowed out , I assume for lighter weight or oiling>very confused, but loving it! The more knowledge I gain the better! Cant figure out crank, why the 5.7 flywheel?????

If interested, here's another thread (started back in September of 2019) regarding a 6.3L build.

Once again, you'll see a few Nay-Sayers right out of the gate, so be prepared to wade through several disruptions.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?460276-383-Inboard(V-Drive)build

Just for fun, look at the image in post #29 where I explain LPCP and how LPCP is affected by the piston profile and ignition TA.

If I recall, we also discussed rod length and where that puts the wrist pin and what it does to the piston skirt length, etc.

In post #59 we discuss harmonic balancers.

You might find post #65 interesting.

To sum up.... many of the Nay-Sayers in that thread completely lost sight of Bracker's intentions.

Stick your guns Returntrip.... if you want to build a Q/E 6.3L stroker, pay no attention to the Nay-Sayers.

You no doubt know this....... the OEM 400 crankshaft's main journals are 2.650" in diameter, and will need to be turned down to 2.450" diameter in order to fit into the 5.7L cylinder block. Rod journal size is the same between the 350 and 400 cranks.
Now with that said...... your Merc 377 crankshaft may already be at 2.450" before you removed .005" (.005" off = .010" under).

If interested, here's another thread (started back in September of 2019) regarding a 6.3L build.

Once again, you'll see a few Nay-Sayers right out of the gate, so be prepared to wade through several disruptions.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?460276-383-Inboard(V-Drive)build

Just for fun, look at the image in post #29 where I explain LPCP and how LPCP is affected by the piston profile and ignition TA.

If I recall, we also discussed rod length and where that puts the wrist pin and what it does to the piston skirt length, etc.

In post #59 we discuss harmonic balancers.

You might find post #65 interesting.

To sum up.... many of the Nay-Sayers in that thread completely lost sight of Bracker's intentions.

Stick your guns Returntrip.... if you want to build a Q/E 6.3L stroker, pay no attention to the Nay-Sayers.

YUP......................Mr expert! Copy and Paste

Nope. No copy and paste!
If this was plagiarized, anybody could do a quick and easy search to find out from whom and where it had been plagiarized.

I hope this goes to both you guys,I was at the machine shop today, like my research reveled. I is a special forged merc. crank. Hans, the machinist said there is added weight to the crank and then he looked at my old rusty flywheel and said it has no weights, its also nuetral. The crankshaft is a rre mercruiser internally balanced forge crank. It made me very happy to save one item from my only othr previous boat build (Lent boat to somebody after 3 year & 25 K restoration, sank it for me with no insurance) Thanks Kghost, I knew what the journal size was before I sent it there, thats what confused me because I looked up 400c.i. o,d, nd nothing jived. Glad to have the crankshaft. There was also a much heavier fillet radii on both mains & rod journals than I see on other sbc cranks. Upon alittle more digging about bearings< I believe I kneed "H" series bearings which are chamfered more and slightly narrower???Clevite ok? we use them in diesels. I want decent forged rods & pistons ("I" beam rod, LCQ piston) Can you guys recommend rods that upper part of journal that is tapered to help with cam clearance and I realize Ill hve to do some clearance work around the bottoms of cyl. bores and also casting arounc block near oil pan. I am having the machinist bore the hole in fuel pump mounting boss for a mechanical pump, Is that okay? Or do you guys all run electric pumps? Thanks on the pump pic. Rick, that maybe the same pump i have, I havent seen it in year, Its been in storage. Came off bbc, Im not sure< I might have to do some machine work on mounting flange if bolt pattern i differnt from bbc to sbc damper. I agree Rick on the weight and other benefits of Alum. intake. I just couldnt bring myself to go with Alum. heads, even with full closed cooling...Torque loads, Salt water, ya know, I guess Im old school. I churn those big diesels hard out ther in the N. Atlantic & Ive never seen an aluminum head last out there...Thats just goofy me though. Thanks kghost and Rick, got to put some tools away before the weather turns, I will definitely check out those threads later. Suggestions on Rods & pistons would help, and maybe approval o n Clevite "H" series bearing? Thanks guys,

hello,back again with more questions... Im up in the air about either the Clevite bearings or King bearings for my Mains. Im also confused about timing chain sets, I know double roller will obviously be deeper, requiring deeper T-chin cover. Will that leave me sufficient room between water pump? and how about snout depth on the damper for pulley alignment? I was going to use all the original bolt on hardware, like p.s. pump, alt. etc. all "V" belt drive from boats original 5.7 non Vortec. I do still have the serpentine set up from original MPI stroker but everything is rusted pretty bad from sinking. I also have to consider the room for the closed cooling system possibly between the the two styles of pulley systems, although you can probably get for both. I guess Ill take my time until I hear how the block turned out. Ill just order the .010 mains and do my oil passage porting work and block clearancing. Im jumping ahead of the gun as usual, I obviously cant order rods and pistons because I dont know what deck hieght will be yet, I may even deck off a little material on the new heads, then check comb. chamber c.c.. I dont want to have the pistons sit to far down in the jugs. Can you guys recommend a good place to do my parts purchasing that might have people that would work with me through that process?

.......... I is a special forged merc. crank. Hans, the machinist said there is added weight to the crank and then he looked at my old rusty flywheel and said it has no weights, its neutral.
That's good news then.

The crankshaft is a rre mercruiser internally balanced forge crank.
what is rre ....... typo..... rare????

There was also a much heavier fillet radii on both mains & rod journals than I see on other sbc cranks. Upon a little more digging about bearings< I believe I need "H" series bearings which are chamfered more and slightly narrower??? Clevite ok? we use them in diesels.
I would suggest asking your machine shop person for a recommendation.

This is from SpeedWayMotors dot com:

Info

Clevite's H-Series was developed primarily for use in NASCAR type racing, but they are suitable for all types of competition engines. These sets are specifically for 1969-Up 302-305-327-350 S/B Chevy.

• Use H-series bearings with crankshafts that have oversize fillets and where engines run in the medium to high RPM range.
  • H-Series bearings should be used if contact patterns obtained with P-series parts are too narrow. Contact pattern should ideally cover 2/3 to 3/4 of the bearing surface.
  • If you aren't sure which type of performance bearing to start with, the H-Series will be your best choice.

I want decent forged rods & pistons ("I" beam rod, LCQ piston) Can you guys recommend rods that upper part of journal that is tapered to help with cam clearance and I realize I'll have to do some clearance work around the bottoms of cyl. bores and also casting around block near oil pan. I am having the machinist bore the hole in fuel pump mounting boss for a mechanical pump, Is that okay?
If they have the proper jig or fixture for boring the push rod hole, yes.
Make sure that your camshaft offers the fuel pump lobe.... I believe that most will.

Or do you guys all run electric pumps?
The electric fuel pumps work well.
However, with the electric fuel pump, you will also need to install the wiring and the LOPS (low oil pressure switch).
The LOPS must be able to cut the power to the fuel pump in the absence of engine oil pressure.
USCG rule.
Along with this system, you will want to create a "start-by-pass" circuit that will energize the fuel pump prior to engine oil pressure coming up.
If you go with the electric, I can help you with a wiring diagram.

Thanks on the pump pic. Rick, that maybe the same pump i have, I haven't seen it in year, Its been in storage. Came off bbc, Im not sure I might have to do some machine work on mounting flange if bolt pattern is different from bbc to sbc damper.
Actually, the Crankshaft Pump's mounting flange attaches to the crankshaft pulley, and uses the three bolt holes in the harmonic balancer spokes.
The pulley will have two (2) stamped/raised dowels that will correspond to the pump's flange for alignment.
The flange will actually bolt on in one of three indexings.... but only one indexing will be correct.
(it will make sense to once you start installing it)

Johnson F5B 9 and F6B 9 pumps 2.jpg

I agree Rick on the weight and other benefits of Alum. intake. I just couldnt bring myself to go with Alum. heads, even with full closed cooling...
FYI... aluminum cylinder heads (along with a nice tight quench dimension) will allow you to increase your S C/R some.
This is due to the more efficient cylinder head "heat dissipation". Not necessary.... I'm just tossing that out there.

Torque loads, Salt water, ya know, I guess Im old school.
With your Closed Cooling System, the heads and intake manifold will never see salt water.

........ Im also confused about timing chain sets, I know double roller will obviously be deeper, requiring deeper T-chin cover.
Let the cylinder block determine which timing chain cover it requires.
If going with a roller cam and roller cam followers, the cover must work with that set up.
Again, these would be good questions for your machine shop person.

Will that leave me sufficient room between water pump?
All of your belt driven accessories, and their alignment, will be based on the short body coolant circulating pump (i.e., water pump).
Make sure that the pump clears the timing chain cover.

SBC Coolant Circulating pump.... ( called a water pump in a misnomer fashion )

shopping

and how about snout depth on the damper for pulley alignment?

I was going to ask earlier if you knew if the 400 harmonic balancer must be used with the Merc 377 crankshaft.
I mentioned that earlier........ that's a good question for your machine shop person.

I was going to use all the original bolt on hardware, like p.s. pump, alt. etc. all "V" belt drive from boats original 5.7 non Vortec. I do still have the serpentine set up from original MPI stroker but everything is rusted pretty bad from sinking. I also have to consider the room for the closed cooling system possibly between the the two styles of pulley systems, although you can probably get for both. I guess Ill take my time until I hear how the block turned out. Ill just order the .010 mains and do my oil passage porting work and block clearancing. Im jumping ahead of the gun as usual,

I obviously cant order rods and pistons because I dont know what deck hieght will be yet,
You will need these parts before determining that!

..... Are you going with the 5.7" rods? Keep in mind that the longer rods move the wrist pin further into the piston, creating shorter skirts.
Hot Rod guys like the shorter skirts... but I think that the longer skirts work best in the Marine version. There are other dynamics that come into play also.

..... Are you going with the LCQ style pistons? A good choice with the Vortec cylinder head quench surface.

..... Do you know what Vortec cylinder head combustion chamber volume is? They differ slightly.

I may even deck off a little material on the new heads, then check comb. chamber c.c..
Don't touch the heads just yet!
Do the math on the cylinder block first ... i.e., deck height, desired quench dimension, compressed head gasket thickness, etc.

I dont want to have the pistons sit too far down in the jugs.
Exactly!
If the piston deck dimension is excessive, in order to obtain a good quench dimension the compressed head gasket thickness would need to be very thin!
Piston deck dimension + compressed head gasket thickness = quench dimension.
Your shop will know exactly what to do.

Please see my images in the thread that I linked you to earlier.

NOTE:
the HP Auto guys shoot for a larger quench dimension. For your Marine build, you will want to be a bit tighter!

Can you guys recommend a good place to do my parts purchasing that might have people that would work with me through that process?
I'd suggest reading articles by people like Jeff Smith and the others mentioned in post #26.
Some of these guys represent companies who manufacture and sell these parts.
Keith Black, for example.
Dennis Moore has a wealth of knowledge to share, and he is an authority on the SBC Marine engine.
Granted, most of these men represent HP Auto. However, a great deal of the info can be applied to the Marine SBC engine.

One last thing.... Ignition System!
You will eventually need to decide upon an ignition system.
With your Q/E build, your system can now throw a tad bit more TA at the engine.
More on that later!

Keep up the good work and your good research.
You'll get there!

Jack and o2batsea, Merry Christmas to you.
I hope that you can find some joy and happiness this Holiday season!

Last edited:
Hello, Typo,yes he said rare on crankshaft, he said "made exceptionally well", happy to hear that! Thanks, I read that article on the "H" series bearing. I was thinking about that electrical design on the fuel pump factors regarding low oil press. shut off & start. I will be running mechanical, but maybe back up with an electric system, using an industrial Murphy switch with a good marine grade 4 way ignition switch. My boat will actually have radar & NSS evo-2 chartplotter with auto pilot. I see the rough salt water seas every day, sometimes in fog. Im commited to use my boat like people use there cars to get to & forth to work everyday. "CRAZY"? The salt on the outside of the heads is what I was worried about, its tough sometimes to clean up galvanic corrosion on pitting alum. Unfortunately in my case, I have to worry about the outside as well.
Your info is invaluable to me thanks. The short body pump info for accessory drive, great! Ill have to figure out protrusion meas. on double roller covers, I believe the short body pumps are 5 5/8 in. from machined face of block. And definitely yes on the 5.7 rods, longer skirts, decent piston angularity and good comb. chamber dwell time. After reading yours & others posts, I am absolutely convinced on the mirroring & LCQ effect with piston choice, especially with the Vortec heads, Thank you.
My Bowtie heads supposedly have 66cc chambers, I was just going to take off the rough decking finish from GM. I will take your advise & wait. I will cc the heads myself to see what they are, prior. I was thinking about steel composite head gaskets, somebody mentioned those to possibly use? Im not sure. I do know about compressed thickness calculations, just not sure about what materiel.I also have seen head gasket bore sizes differentiate on cylinder bore size, again, not sure on that one either! Im looking for a .038 quench when all is said and done.
Ive been trying to get stuff to read from Dennis Moore, They want over $700 for his book? Where can i find stuff he has written, without spending my forged piston rod money>>>>
On the ignition thing, I will be totally lost!!! Ignition I'm used to, comes from high compression cylinder pressure & highly pressurized injected fuel, Lost, Lost, Lost.
I hope you guys dont get sick of me & I wish to contribute something whortwhile at some point. Thanks, much so far! Johhny V.

Hello, Typo,yes he said rare on crankshaft, he said "made exceptionally well", happy to hear that!
Thanks, I read that article on the "H" series bearing. I was thinking about that electrical design on the fuel pump factors regarding low oil press. shut off & start. I will be running mechanical, but maybe back up with an electric system, using an industrial Murphy switch with a good marine grade 4 way ignition switch.
In my opinion, it's rare to see anything other than a off/ignition on/start key style switch being used in a Marine application.
Any accessories are best if powered outside of the key switch circuit.

Your info is invaluable to me thanks.
You are welcome.

The short body pump info for accessory drive, great! Ill have to figure out protrusion meas. on double roller covers, I believe the short body pumps are 5 5/8 in. from machined face of block. And definitely yes on the 5.7 rods, longer skirts, decent piston angularity and good comb. chamber dwell time. After reading yours & others posts, I am absolutely convinced on the mirroring & LCQ effect with piston choice, especially with the Vortec heads, Thank you.
Yep!

My Bowtie heads supposedly have 66cc chambers, I was just going to take off the rough decking finish from GM. I will take your advise & wait. I will cc the heads myself to see what they are, prior. I was thinking about steel composite head gaskets, somebody mentioned those to possibly use? Im not sure. I do know about compressed thickness calculations, just not sure about what materiel.I also have seen head gasket bore sizes differentiate on cylinder bore size, again, not sure on that one either!

Im looking for a .038 quench when all is said and done.
FYI.... .038" quench dimension is used for the 5.7L Marine build with the 3.480" stroke.
You will want to increase that some for the 6.3L Marine build with the 3.750" stroke.

Ive been trying to get stuff to read from Dennis Moore, They want over $700 for his book?
I'm not surprised. I own a signed copy.... I guess I should sell it. LOL

Where can i find stuff he has written, without spending my forged piston rod money>>>>
Ya wanna buy a copy????

On the ignition thing, I will be totally lost!!! Ignition I'm used to, comes from high compression cylinder pressure & highly pressurized injected fuel, Lost, Lost, Lost.
I hope you guys dont get sick of me & I wish to contribute something whortwhile at some point. Thanks, much so far! Johhny V.

Please read the other thread that I linked us to.
Look at the illustration whereby I explain LPCP, and then read my explanation as to how ignition lead affects LPCP.

You'll want to also know that with the GM build (full dished pistons) ignition advance is held back to offset the likelihood of Marine Load Ignition Induced Detonation.
When this is held back, so is the LPCP. A lazy LPCP makes for less torque and horse power.

All of these guys..... Dennis Moore, Jeff Smith, Larry Carly, Keith Black and the others all know this. This is nothing new!

When the Nay-Sayers come on board, they are typically the ones who are oblivious to this style build.

Last edited:
You are attempting to build an engine that will far exceed the demand or need, in my opinion.

You could purchase a brand new crate Marine stroker small long block for 4-5 thousand dollars or a re-manufactured for less and get exactly what you need from it.

All this special detail is great when building a high performance engine but you do not have that need nor will it make any real world difference in your boat. 300+/- horse power is the same no matter what the internals are.

If you are doing this for the fun of it then fine, but all this detail is completely unnecessary for a engine that will not see past 4500 rpm. There is no real benefit.

If you were on a mission to build a high power short in length speed boat with a bullet proofed stroker then following your suggested internal build plan may bare fruit but for a simple salt water boat to be used at low to moderate speeds......Way over kill

Also after all this special effort if you have a hiccup and the motor inhales salt water and you push a piston thru the cylinder wall or bend a rod.........It will all be for not!

Remember this, The 90's Vortec GM Truck engines routinely last for 200,000 miles plus, as built by GM and do not use any of PCKR's reccomendations

This is a Mercruiser marine repair help site, NOT a small block chevy high performance engine build web site.

The majority of this post does not belong here and has gone completely off topic (as usual with PCKR when he tries to impress)

You should think about starting a completely new topic in this section.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...-Gas-Inboard-Mfgs-IO-and-Sterndrive-Questions.....

and title it - (How to build a small block Chevy by da man PCKR)

OK, gotcha kghost. I have strayed off subject,sorry about that. In the diesel world we always use the best our wallets can afford. I will be taking this 23' boat to some of the bigger lakes in Maine to have fun skiing & tubing, also really enjoying the added horsepower. I actually started adding up aparts list today & realized abuild like this would go well over the 5K mark. I had no idea bout hypereutectic pistons and less expensive rods before I started this, I just assumed there was cast & forged. I could greatly trim back the dollar amount not using forged. I asked several times about where to get a well built rotating assembly on this site and others & nobody felt confident in recommending a reputable place. Ill keep my posts limited to repair, Im sure ill have questions after i burn through the couple Alpha drives I have start my conversion to the Bravo 1 i got, (less lower unit) I guess I am expecting too much & spending hard earned money in the wrong direction. Didnt know there was such opposing views about piston configuration. Ive always tried to mirror the profile of both piston and comb. chamber profiles.

You are attempting to build an engine that will far exceed the demand or need, in my opinion.

You could purchase a brand new crate Marine stroker small long block for 4-5 thousand dollars or a re-manufactured for less and get exactly what you need from it.

All this special detail is great when building a high performance engine but you do not have that need nor will it make any real world difference in your boat. 300+/- horse power is the same no matter what the internals are.

If you are doing this for the fun of it then fine, but all this detail is completely unnecessary for a engine that will not see past 4500 rpm. There is no real benefit.

If you were on a mission to build a high power short in length speed boat with a bullet proofed stroker then following your suggested internal build plan may bare fruit but for a simple salt water boat to be used at low to moderate speeds......Way over kill

Also after all this special effort if you have a hiccup and the motor inhales salt water and you push a piston thru the cylinder wall or bend a rod.........It will all be for not!

Remember this, The 90's Vortec GM Truck engines routinely last for 200,000 miles plus, as built by GM and do not use any of PCKR's reccomendations

This is a Mercruiser marine repair help site, NOT a small block chevy high performance engine build web site.

The majority of this post does not belong here and has gone completely off topic (as usual with PCKR when he tries to impress)

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...-Gas-Inboard-Mfgs-IO-and-Sterndrive-Questions.....

best post in this thread. Started with what is a workable compression ratio? ..... and end up with all this crap. I’m just glad we didn’t get the model T ignition system drawings again.

it’s not opposing views or nay sayers. There are several ways to skin the cat. Sure a proper quench build is ‘more better’, yes ... But that also doesn’t mean an off the shelf GM base engine will not work as it does in a S load of boats around the world every day.

Kgohst correctly and properly lays out the options. OP is a mechanic and can decide what he wants to spend and what he wants the boat to do.

Last edited:
Thanks about the switch wiring. What would you recommend on stroker Quench? .040? or greater? And yes on the book, I would absolutely buy a copy of that book. I'm currently reading a couple books, one about blueprinting and another about sbc chevy builds, written by David Vizard. They are almost to intense. Any idea on a KB part # for the suggested "D' shaped LCQ pistons 4.030. Dont see them in my Summit catalog. Scat pro comp 'I" beam rods look quite affordable wit the correct KB pitons.
To the Nay-Sayers, I am trying to repair, rebuild & modify a MERCRUISER power plant! It just happens to be, the heart of the plant is produced & manufactured by GENERAL MOTORS..... made for Chevrolet.

Im interested in this build, I have some down time due to weather and some money. I would rather go swimming with a Rolex instead of a Timex....

I'm seeing some almost unbelievable and definitely uninformed responses in this thread.

Johnny, hang in there. You will get through this, in spite of all of the disruptions and Nay-Saying.

Jack said:
Yes, in your opinion.
It is MY opinion that Johnny will do better with a Q/E build.

Absolutely not true.
Johnny is wanting to do a Q/E build. How can he get that with the GM build?

You have missed a very important aspect of this. The Q/E build is not necessarily a High Performance build. It is a build that greatly benefits the SBC Marine Engine. This has been mentioned here and in many other threads regarding the Q/E build.

Again, that is not true.

Again, in YOUR opinion, and an opinion that has no base experience behind it.

If Johnny's C/R is the same or very similar, why on earth would a Q/E built SBC pose any greater risk of a bent rod, than that of the GM build?
I am anxiously awaiting your answer on that one!

Johnny, Jack's reference to PCKR = Post Count King Rick.
There is no need to be threatened by post counts, yet he mentions this routinely.
I'd like to see Jack pay more attention to content, and less attention to post counts.

Again, the Q/E build is not necessarily a High Performance build. Please understand that!
It involves a very simple change to the piston profile... so simple, that any Merc mechanic would be capable of doing it.

Again, in YOUR opinion!

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...rive-Questions.....
Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Jack rarely visits that forum section.

Again, there is no need to be threatened by post counts. Post counts only represent one's number of forum contributions.

Dieter said:
best post in this thread. Started with what is a workable compression ratio
Yes, that was Johnny's fair and honest question.
However, is also begs the question; "what type of combustion chamber will be used?"
You cannot successfully build an engine without knowing this!

it’s not opposing views or nay sayers.
There certainly have been opposing views and Nay-Sayers.
You guys that Nay-Say the Q/E build have most likely never done one, so how on earth can you say that it is not the better way to go?
Please explain that one!

There are several ways to skin the cat.
That may be true.
What you may not be understanding, is that the furrier dealer (the guy who buys the furs) will tell you that some cat skinners will bring him a better pelt.

Sure a proper quench build is ‘more better’,
So you do agree then.... yes/no????

yes ... But that also doesn’t mean an off the shelf GM base engine will not work as it does in a S load of boats around the world every day.
No agreement there.
There are umpteen thousands and umpteen thousands of GM builds out there, and they are working just fine.

Kgohst correctly and properly lays out the options.
I highly doubt that he has ever built a Q/E combustion chamber into a SBC. If he had, he just might understand the value of it.

OP is a mechanic and can decide what he wants to spend and what he wants the boat to do.
Precisely.
Read Johnny's posts more closely and thoroughly, and you'll see that he is interested in doing a Q/E build.

Thanks about the switch wiring. What would you recommend on stroker Quench? .040? or greater?
As said earlier, the .038" quench dimension is used on the 5.7L SBC. This is a suggestion by Dennis Moore.
When the stroke is increased by .270", the quench dimension will be increased some.
I have always targeted .042" to .045".
The Hot Rod guys will shoot for approximately .060" for the 6.3L build due to the higher RPM that these are operated at.

And yes on the book, I would absolutely buy a copy of that book.
I would be willing to loan mine out for a reasonable deposit. I'll shoot you a PM if interested.

I'm currently reading a couple books, one about blueprinting and another about sbc chevy builds, written by David Vizard. They are almost too intense.
Any idea on a KB part # for the suggested "D' shaped LCQ pistons 4.030.
With your Vortec cylinder heads, you won't be using a D-Dished piston. You'll do better with a LCQ style piston.
Keep in mind (no matter which piston profile you go with) that the piston must be correct for the 3.750" stroke and the 5.7" connecting rods.

Dont see them in my Summit catalog. Scat pro comp 'I" beam rods look quite affordable wit the correct KB pitons.

To the Nay-Sayers, I am trying to repair, rebuild & modify a MERCRUISER power plant! It just happens to be, the heart of the plant is produced & manufactured by GENERAL MOTORS..... made for Chevrolet.
Yes, and this is not necessarily an exclusive Mercruiser related build.
The minute that Mercruiser is mentioned in a Q/E style build, several of these guys get their underwear in a knot.

These guys are typically parts changers and are not able to think-outside-of-the-box.

Had Wilbur and Orville limited themselves to In-the-box-thinking, they would have NEVER flown.

Im interested in this build, I have some down time due to weather and some money. I would rather go swimming with a Rolex instead of a Timex....
Well said.
Your proposed Q/E build is the Rolex..... and the standard run-of-mill GM build is the Timex!

And more importantly, let's all put our differences beside, and wish each other a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season.

Last edited:

The most accurate thing you will read on this thread.

Especially this part...

"if you have a hiccup and the motor inhales salt water and you push a piston thru the cylinder wall or bend a rod.........It will all be for not!"

In other words, unless your engine is running 100% all the time, you don't loose ignition while running 3500rpm and live in a perfect world any water ingestion is going to kink a connecting rod with a QE build.

I'm seeing some almost unbelievable and definitely uninformed responses in this thread.

Johnny, hang in there. You will get through this, in spite of all of the disruptions and Nay-Saying.

And more importantly, let's all put our differences beside, and wish each other a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season.

It is your posts that are the most uniformed and UNBELIEVABLE responses.

You consistently miss virtually all points made in opposition of your posts. You try to impress over and over again. You take the original post and bring in what you and only you consider what the OP needs to read. Again your opinion only.
The thread goes off topic and evolves into a completely different thread.

So in the end you take over the thread to display what you consider, and only you, your imagined expertise on all things SBC.

WE ALL have differences with your posts, it is a consistent occurrence ............Are you so full of yourself you don't see the patterns in multiple posts that you try to hijack?

Trying to be polite is no excuse or does it change the fact that you are hijacking threads trying to Impress the OP.

"if you have a hiccup and the motor inhales salt water and you push a piston thru the cylinder wall or bend a rod.........It will all be for not!"

In other words, unless your engine is running 100% all the time, you don't loose ignition while running 3500rpm and live in a perfect world any water ingestion is going to kink a connecting rod with a QE build.

OK, let's examine that idea.

Let's say that:

We have two identical SBC engines minus the piston profile.
One has been built using the GM Full Dished pistons.
One has been built using a LCQ style pistons.

The GM Full Dished piston's "dished area" is underneath the entire cylinder head (minus the quench band)
The Q/E piston's "dished area" is underneath the main combustion chamber ONLY.

Important note.... the dish volume in either style piston equals XX cc. (I deliberately did not choose a number)
In other words, both are the same volume.

Both engines are equipped with the same camshaft profile.

Both are equipped with what is actually a wedge shaped combustion chamber.
All 4 cylinder heads offer the same 65cc combustion chambers.

Given that both use the 65cc combustion chambers and offer XX cc piston dish volume, the Static Compression Ratio of each engine is identical.

Do we agree so far????

If so, why then is the Q/E built engine more prone to pushing a piston through a cylinder wall, or more prone to bending a connecting rod in the event of water reversion or intrusion?

Is it being suggested that the quench area is going to hold onto and attempt to compress water more so than if this was a Full Dished piston build?

I am open to learning that the Q/E build is more prone to this if (key word "if") logic is used to explain it!

Keep in mind that the primary purpose and benefit of the Q/E is to push the gasses out into the main combustion chamber..... not to incorporate high compression.

SBC quench piston volume vs full dished piston volume.jpg

Last edited:
Back