Logo

9.8 hp Mercury 1980/81. Prop for it

Racoon1313

Hello all;
Hard to find a 9 pitch prop for my 1980/1 9.8 Mercury outboard. Any suggestions as to who might have them.? I can find a 7 pitch prop, do they work well enough on this motor? Thanks.

The prop you use depends on your boat and what you do with it.---Likely some props on E-Bay or Chimazon.-------Your location.

How bout this one? I like the performance of 2 bladed props on these motors.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201219-185628.jpg
    Screenshot_20201219-185628.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 61
Yes.....I use the little Mercs as "all around" on smaller lakes with 14 foot boats. Seems they perform best with 2 bladed props....the 9.8's run stronger than the 9.9 Johnson/Evinrudes.

Yes.....I use the little Mercs as "all around" on smaller lakes with 14 foot boats. Seems they perform best with 2 bladed props....the 9.8's run stronger than the 9.9 Johnson/Evinrudes.
That is good to hear Timguy. I will try the two blade prop. I have an old 12’ aluminum Sears boat. I also only go on small lakes and river near here. I am in Edmonton , Alberta, Canada. Cheers to you.

We have two lake camps in remote NW Ontario. Couldn't get there this year. Border closed for us. First time since 1964 we never got to camp. Mostly run Johnson Evinrude 2 strokes.....if you can't carry a motor....it's basically worthless to us.

We have two lake camps in remote NW Ontario. Couldn't get there this year. Border closed for us. First time since 1964 we never got to camp. Mostly run Johnson Evinrude 2 strokes.....if you can't carry a motor....it's basically worthless to us.
The author Sigurd Olsen country! God’s country if you ask me, I envy you!

Yes great way to be brought up.....guiding at 12 years old. Fly in by float or ski plane only.....back in those days. Now portage in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201220-090817_crop_77~2_compress48.jpg
    Screenshot_20201220-090817_crop_77~2_compress48.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 45
Yes great way to be brought up.....guiding at 12 years old. Fly in by float or ski plane only.....back in those days. Now portage in.
I boat on small lakes just west and north of Edmonton, but mostly on the North Saskatchewan River, which meanders through Edmonton. Don’t need great speed on the river, just amble along. Fish manly for walleye and pike. Perfect for any afternoon. Boat launch is 5 minutes from our home. 9.8 hp Mercury is perfect for that job. Love it.

I boat on small lakes just west and north of Edmonton, but mostly on the North Saskatchewan River, which meanders through Edmonton. Don’t need great speed on the river, just amble along. Fish manly for walleye and pike. Perfect for any afternoon. Boat launch is 5 minutes from our home. 9.8 hp Mercury is perfect for that job. Love it.
By the way where did you get your two blade 9 pitch prop from? Thanks

I might have a few 2 blade props around too.-----Beautiful river that North Saskatchewan.------Knew somebody living near it around Keephills.

Last edited:
Canada has always been my heaven. Your leaders are ruining my life.....gotta get across soon. This crazy US is even worse.

Last edited:
You best move up then.---The water is cleaner.----The air is much cleaner than the air near and around that big ^&%$# House.

Back