Logo

looking for high pitch prop for 1984, 30hp johnson

motiondave

Contributing Member
[h=1]Hello, I have a J30ELCRR 1984 Johnson outboard and Im looking for a 17 pitch prop for it, original part number listed is 390731, or 0390731 Which, Im am told is a stainless steel race prop. Might anyone have one or know where I can find one? Yes Im searching the net and contacting places as well.[/h]

This is a possible option. The Merc is 13 spline, however. But you could re-hub to the big Johnson.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201218-203705.jpg
    Screenshot_20201218-203705.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 81
This is a possible option. The Merc is 13 spline, however. But you could re-hub to the big Johnson.

thanks for the info, Id rather not rehub though, if I was going to do that, I might as well try to find a new one.
EDIT, you mean get a new hub pressed in, that could be an option, thanks for the help. I will look further
I have currently a 4 blade 16 pitch, apparently off a suzuki, but thats all I know. Maybe Suzuki might have something?
Cheers. David.

Last edited:
What's the diameter of that 4 blade?
Hello Timguy,

10.5 inch, 16 pitch, I should speed test it again, but I only got 21 knots, while the three blade 15 pitch (before is started slipping) got 25 knots.

After searching and phone calls, Ive bought one of these, waiting for it to arrive

http://www.olds.com.au/marine/propellers/propulse/

10.4 inch version 4 blade in 17 pitch as, unless I get expensive custom made, Im having hard time finding anything decent in second hand props.

at $265, its actually cheap by Australian standards for a new part, as second hand can cost $100-$200 and no guarantee how long it will last. I think the 4 blade prop I have currently, only had it out on the water for an hour, seems to be starting to slip. and a new bush replacement is not cheap.
So at this time, I will see how these go.

I will report back in time.

Yes, please answer for us, Racers question....curious. that prop is made in Australia....so affordable.

sorry for the late reply.
its on a 9 foot speed boat I converted to outboard. I had a 30hp on it.
I did an initial test on it, but awhile later the motor had wiring issues and gave up
heres the video of about the prop
https://youtu.be/2ipRZzxinNI

I did test it at 15 pitch and got more speed, but no video, I was going to test at 14 pitch but didnt happen.
I sold the prop second hand after the old jonno stopped working.
the prop is good and they sell different sizes to match the motor.
the weak part is the blades, that are easily replaceable.

the Props are well worth a look

Sweden is good stuff. I have some composite props.....love em. But don't hit a rock, eh? Gonna need a paddle to get home......but......pretty easy on the prop shaft and lower unit....however, can quickly over rev if you are really flying and then hit an object, where instead with a metal prop, they just get bent and keep motor under load.

Sweden is good stuff. I have some composite props.....love em. But don't hit a rock, eh? Gonna need a paddle to get home......but......pretty easy on the prop shaft and lower unit....however, can quickly over rev if you are really flying and then hit an object, where instead with a metal prop, they just get bent and keep motor under load.
main issue is finding a new prop for older motors, most second hand ones still might spin, as I found out after one prop spun, then a replacement did as well.
So for $265 for a new prop, and yes, have to get spare blades , is cheap.

Back